- Title: Thouands march in Berlin against COVID restrictions
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: DEMONSTRATOR HOLDING PLACARD, READING (German) 'DARE MORE DICTATORSHIP' AND PICTURE OF MERKEL, AND ON OTHER SIDE 'CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY' AND PICTURE OF GIRL BEING VACCINATED
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 16:07
- Keywords: Berlin COVID Querdenker coronavirus coronavirus measures
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Europe,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA002ES715C7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands marched in Berlin on Saturday (August 28) to protest against restrictions aimed at limiting the spread of the coronavirus pandemic even after demonstrations were banned.
Police said protesters had gathered for unauthorised marches in different parts of the city centre and said they had pulled about 50 people out of the crowd, in some cases charging them with assaulting officers.
The protesters, few of whom were wearing face mask, shouted "Freedom" and carried banners with slogans like "I have my own opinion and "Covid-84" in a reference to George Orwell's book "1984" about a totalitarian state.
The march comes a month before a federal election in Germany. The leading candidates vying to replace Chancellor Angela Merkel have pledged there will be no return to the strict lockdowns of last year and earlier this year.
However, the country faces a fourth wave of infections. It reported a rise of 10,303 coronavirus cases on Saturday. The death toll increased by 22, bringing the total to more than 3.9 million.
To nudge more people to get vaccinated, the government has said it will stop offering free tests from Oct. 11, except for those for whom vaccination is not recommended, such as children and pregnant women.
The government will require people to be either vaccinated, test negative or have a recovery certificate to enter indoor restaurants, participate in religious ceremonies and do indoor sport.
(Production: Holger Koerner, Max Schwarz, Gabi Sajonz, Ute Swart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.