- Title: 'A new form of cooperation': Macron meets Mideast leaders on security, diplomacy
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (AUGUST 28, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** MACRON AND SALIH WALKING TOWARDS PULPIT TO GIVE STATEMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) IRAQI PRESIDENT, BARHAM SALIH, SAYING: "France remains a supportive partner for Iraq, to complete the war against terrorism and ensure stability and peace in the region. At the same time, France is an economic and a business partner which supports us in reconstruction operations." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) IRAQI PRESIDENT, BARHAM SALIH, SAYING: "Today, President Macron is participating in the summit for regional dialogue, which is an important event. Iraq has been for year a place of conflicts, disputes and quarrels in the region. Leaders and representatives of the region gather in Baghdad today to assure their support of Iraq's independence, sovereignty and prosperity." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "There are new challenges that we will integrate into our bilateral relations, the fight against climate deregulation, which profoundly concerns your people, as well as the necessity to reinforce elements of stability and security. We will reinforce our bilateral cooperation in all these aeras and give it in the next months a more formal and richer framework." WHITE FLASH (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Also because the format of this conference is, in itself and as we speak, a success and the invention of a new form of cooperation. We managed to get everybody around the table. Heads of states and of governments, ministers, so that all of these countries that at times we not speaking to each other anymore, can cooperate anew to find solutions together for the region." MACRON AND SALIH LEAVING
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 10:58
- Keywords: Baghdad Summit France-Iraq cooperation Macron Salih news conference
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Middle East,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002ES71A2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: EDIT CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, AUDIO PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
French President Emmanuel Macron met with his Iraqi counterpart, Barham Salih, in Baghdad on Saturday (August 28), ahead of a summit hosted by Baghdad, which wants its neighbours to talk to each other instead of settling scores on Iraqi territory.
Heads of state attending include President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, King Abdullah of Jordan, Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani and Macron. Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates sent their heads of government, and Turkey its foreign minister.
"We managed to get everyone around the table", Macron said during joint press statements with Salih, before the start of the summit.
Macron's trip to Iraq over two days also aims to support the regional dialogue, meet Iraqi political leaders and visit French special forces involved in the ongoing fight against Islamic State insurgents.
"There are new challenges that we will integrate into our bilateral relations, the fight against climate deregulation". Macron said, adding that the framwork of the cooperation between France and Iraq in the area of climate change would be formalised over the next months.
(Production: Haider Kadhim, Muath Freij, Charlotte Bruneau)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None