- Title: India's new COVID-19 cases jump to two-month high as infections spiral in Kerala
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC GATE OF HOSPITAL PEOPLE OUTSIDE HOSPITAL AMBULANCE MOVING (SOUNDBITE) (English) VICE PRESIDENT OF MID ZONE, INDIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION KERALA, DINESH, SAYING: "We have to take the utmost care to curb the rate also. At the same time, the TPR (Test Positivity Rate) also was 19.2 yesterday that is alsoâ€¦after the festival, it has increased. Before the festival, it was 14 something, now it has come to an alarming increase of 19.2" THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) TRAFFIC VEHICLES MOVING OUTSIDE MOSQUE CONNEMARA MARKET AREA SHOPS SELLING FLOWERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AT THIRUVANANTHAPURAM GOVERNMENT MEDICAL COLLEGE, ANEESH T.S., SAYING: "We know that Onam (harvest festival) is a seasonal festival. It is not a festival for a single day. So the interactionsâ€¦maybe happening in different days and all over Kerala because Onam is celebrated all over Kerala, cutting across all regional and geographical and religious groups. So, there is high chance of interaction and we are actually paying for that because suddenly after Onam, we are experiencing at least 10,000 more numbers everyday." THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) EXTERIOR OF COLLEGE WHERE DRIVE-THRU VACCINATION IS BEING CARRIED OUT VARIOUS OF VEHICLES OUTSIDE COLLEGE GATE WOMEN WALKING AND SHOWING THEIR DOCUMENTS TO HEALTH WORKERS WOMAN ARRIVING IN AUTO-RICKSHAW WOMAN GETTING VACCINATED WOMEN SITTING AFTER GETTING VACCINATED AUTO-RICKSHAW PASSING BY MAN GETTING VACCINATED ELDERLY MAN GETTING VACCINATED NURSE CHECKING SYRINGE WOMAN GETTING VACCINATED (SOUNDBITE) (Malayalam) THIRUVANANTHAPURAM RESIDENT, AUGUSTIN, SAYING: "People don't tell others if they are infected and interact and meet with their neighbours. That is the reason why the cases are rising. The number of cases should be coming down as the vaccination rate has gathered pace." WOMAN GETTING VACCINATED VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 13:31
- Keywords: COVID-19 India Kerala cases coronavirus hospitals spread state testing third wave traffic vaccination
- Location: THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA
- City: THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES70PJJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:India on Saturday (August 28) reported 46,759 new coronavirus infections, the most in nearly two months, as cases surged in the southern state of Kerala after a big festival.
The South Asian country's total COVID-19 cases reached nearly 32.7 million and deaths rose by 509 to 437,370 in the last 24 hours, government data showed.
Kerala, which last week celebrated a local festival, accounted for 70% of the new cases.
India administered more than 10 million vaccine doses in the past 24 hours, a national record that Prime Minister Narendra Modi called a "momentous feat" for the country ahead of fears of another surge in infections.
India has administered more than 622 million vaccine doses in total, giving at least one dose to more than half of its 944 million adults.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None