- Title: Police baton-charge protesting Indian farmers at toll plaza
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: POLICEMEN BEATING ANOTHER PROTESTING FARMER WITH BATON PROTESTING FARMER CLUTCHING HIS ARM AS HE IS TAKEN AWAY BY POLICEMEN SECURITY OFFICIAL ASKING PROTESTERS TO DISPERSE SECURITY PERSONNEL PUSHING A PROTESTER (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) UNIDENTIFIED PROTESTER, SAYING: "We were holding a peaceful sit-in protest and they baton-charged on us. I have been hit five-seven times with the baton. Many have been hit with batons, many are injured." VARIOUS OF PROTESTING FARMERS BLOCKING ROAD BY SITTING ON IT AND RAISING SLOGANS TRUCKS PROTESTING FARMERS BLOCKING TOLL PLAZA/PROTESTING FARMERS SETTING UP BARRICADES SECURITY PERSONNEL GATHERED AT TOLL SECURITY PERSONNEL REMOVING MOTORCYLES FROM TOLL PLAZA VARIOUS OF SECURITY PERSONNEL ASKING PROTESTING FARMERS TO LEAVE
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 14:38
- Keywords: India Karnal baton-charge farmers protest sticks toll plaza
- Location: KARNAL, HARYANA, INDIA
- City: KARNAL, HARYANA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA003ES71E1B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
Indian police on Saturday (August 28) baton-charged protesting farmers who staged a demonstration at a toll plaza in northern Haryana state and disrupted traffic movement.
Reportedly, the farmers were protesting a meeting headed by state chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar. Police termed the demonstration as "unlawful" and asked the protesters to vacate. They resorted to baton-charge after the protesters refused to budge.
For more than eight months, tens of thousands of farmers have camped on major highways to the capital, New Delhi to oppose new farm laws, in the longest-running growers' protest against Modi's government.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None