- Title: Flood-hit victims in northern India await aid
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: GORAKHPUR, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 27, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) WATER FLOWING HOUSES PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER CHILDREN STANDING ON WALL HOUSE PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER FLOODED AREA SHED PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER HOUSE PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER BOYS MOVING IN WATER WITH HELP OF RUBBER TUBE MAN WITH LUGGAGE WADING THROUGH FLOODWATER MAN ROWING BOAT AS OTHERS STAND ON IT BUILDING PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN FLOODWATER RESCUE WORKERS MOVING IN WATER ON INFLATED RAFT WATER FLOWING PEOPLE MOVING ON BOAT IN WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) GORAKHPUR RESIDENT, VIJAY VISHAL SAHANI, SAYING: "Neither there is any arrangement for us here nor have we received anything. We ourselves arrange food and eat. We are not getting any help despite the flood." AYODHYA, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (AUGUST 27, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SIGNBOARD READING (Hindi): "THERE IS DEEP WATER AHEAD, THERE IS RISK OF DROWNING" WATER FLOWING IN SARYU RIVER PEOPLE AT RIVERBANK PARTIALLY SUBMERGED 'SHIVALINGAM' (PHALLUS REPRESENTATION OF HINDU GOD OF DESTRUCTION SHIVA) WATER FLOWING PEOPLE GETTING OFF INFLATED RAFT (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) BOATMAN, NIKHIL KUMAR, SAYING: "The water level in the river has increased .We are not able to work as people are scared to go in it (river) and the river is rising so, everyone is in danger." PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA (AUGUST 27, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) BOAT IN GANGES RIVER VARIOUS OF RISEN WATER IN RIVER VARIOUS OF WATER FLOWING METER READING SHOWING WATER LEVEL IN RIVER STRUCTURE PARTIALLY SUBMERGED IN WATER
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 09:56
- Keywords: Ayodhya Ganges river Gorakhpur India Patna floods rainfall water level weather
- Location: GORAKHPUR, AYODHYA, UTTAR PRADESH/PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- City: GORAKHPUR, AYODHYA, UTTAR PRADESH/PATNA, BIHAR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES70N67
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Flood-hit victims are awaiting aid after water entered residential areas, inundated their houses and damaged their property in India's northern Uttar Pradesh state.
Several areas remained flooded in northern Gorakhpur city with some houses being partially submerged in water, forcing residents to wade through floodwater to carry out necessary activities in the absence of any arrangement from authorities.
"Neither there is any arrangement for us here, nor have we received anything. We ourselves arrange food and eat. We are not getting any help despite the flood," said a resident, Vijay Vishal Sahani on Friday (August 27).
Meanwhile, water level in Saryu River in northern Ayodhya and Ganges River in eastern Patna cities were flowing above their normal level, posing a risk for people living near the riverbanks and low-lying areas.
Annual rainfall is essential in India as rains support two-thirds of the 1.25 billion population living in rural areas who rely on farming. But excessive rainfalls cause problems like floods, landslides, and water-borne diseases.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None