- Title: Troops return home as Britain ends evacuation from Afghanistan
- Date: 28th August 2021
- Summary: OXFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 28, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MILITARY AIRCRAFT ARRIVING AT RAF BRIZE NORTON AIR TRAFFIC MARSHALL VIEW OF COCKPIT/INSCRIPTION ON AIRCRAFT FUSELAGE READING (English): "ROYAL AIRFORCE" VARIOUS OF MILITARY PERSONNEL DISEMBARKING/ENTERING TERMINAL BUILDING MORE OF MILITARY PERSONNEL DISEMBARKING
- Embargoed: 11th September 2021 08:56
- Keywords: Afghanistan Brize Norton Kabul evacuation troops
- Location: OXFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: OXFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Europe,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA001ES70RWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British soldiers began arriving back home on Saturday (August 28) as the UK ends its evacuation from Afghanistan.
The first of the last remaining flights carrying British troops from Afghanistan arrived at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire.
The 256 troops from the 16th Air Assault Regiment arrived as armed forces chief General Nick Carter said British troops will end their evacuation of civilians from Afghanistan on Saturday.
A suicide bomb attack on Thursday (August 26) claimed by Islamic State on the crowded gates of Kabul airport killed scores of civilians and 12 U.S. troops, throwing into mayhem the airlift of tens of thousands of Afghans desperate to flee.
The Taliban seized power in Afghanistan earlier this month from a U.S.-backed government, sending thousands fleeing and potentially heralding a return to the militants' austere and autocratic rule of two decades ago.
(Production: Ben Makori, Chiara Rodriquez, Angie Ramos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None