- Title: France's Macron meets with Christians in Iraq's Mosul
- Date: 29th August 2021
- Summary: VARIOUS OF MACRON AND DELEGATION VISITING EXTERIOR OF 'OUR LADY OF THE HOUR CHURCH', THAT WAS DAMAGED BY ISLAMIC STATE
- Embargoed: 12th September 2021 10:49
- Keywords: France Iraq Macron mosque
- Location: MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Middle East,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA002ESC0Y13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:French President Emmanuel Macron on the second day of his visit to Iraq headed to Mosul where he visited 'Our Lady of the Hour Church' and met with representatives of Iraq's different Christian communities.
Macron visited the church and its courtyard, still bearing the traces of bullets and damage inflicted by Islamic State during its brutal three-year rule over the city of Mosul, its last stronghold.
During a meeting with the Christian community, Macron discussed the origin of the emergence of Islamic State.
"The question is how do we, together, work on preventing the causes" Macron said, adding that he would welcome suggestions on schools that France could finance and develop in Mosul.
Macron, on his second official visit to Iraq since he took office, landed in Baghdad on Saturday (August 28) where he attended the Baghdad summit bringing Middle Eastern leaders together and which his country co-organised.
On the second and final day of his trip, Macron visited Mosul before heading to Erbil, the capital of Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdistan region.
(Production: Yiming Woo, Charlotte Bruneau)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.