- Title: â€œWe are distraughtâ€ says Kabul resident after U.S.airstrike
- Date: 29th August 2021
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (AUGUST 29, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE STANDING IN ALLEY WHERE BLAST OCCURRED MEN STANDING NEAR GATE DAMAGED BY BLAST CAR DESTROYED BY BLAST MAN TAKING PICTURES OF DAMAGE WITH CELL PHONE (SOUNDBITE) (Dari), UNIDENTIFIED MAN, SAYING: "This is the 'Khoja Boghra' neighbourhood, and we live here. A rocket came and hit a house, and six or five people died. I have nothing else to say, and we are distraught." PEOPLE IN ALLEY
- Embargoed: 12th September 2021 22:27
- Keywords: Afghanistam Kabul U.S.airstrike
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESC2DDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: QUALITY AS INCOMING
Distressed neighbours gathered outside the house on Sunday (August 29) evening, where hours earlier a U.S. drone strike had hit a suicide bomber in a vehicle, who was aiming to attack Kabul airport.
The strike, first reported by Reuters, is the second carried out by U.S. forces in Afghanistan since an Islamic State suicide bomber struck the airport on Thursday, killing 13 U.S. troops and scores of Afghan civilians trying to flee the country.
"This is the 'Khoja Boghra' neighbourhood, and we live here. A rocket came and hit a house, and six or five people died. I have nothing else to say, and we are distraught", said an unidentified man.
According to US officials, U.S. forces are working to complete a withdrawal that will end two decades of military involvement in Afghanistan.
Witnesses reported a large blast shaking a neighbourhood, north of Hamid Karzai International Airport, and television footage showed black smoke rising into the sky.
One U.S. official said Sunday's strike was carried out by an unmanned aircraft and that secondary explosions following the strike showed the vehicle had been carrying a "substantial amount of explosive material."
U.S. Central Command confirmed the strike and said in a statement that it had no immediate indication it caused any civilian casualties, but was investigating.
(Production: Sheree Sardar)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None