- Title: Indiaâ€™s Kerala state imposes Sunday lockdown to curb coronavirus spread
- Date: 29th August 2021
- Summary: KOCHI, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 29, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF DESERTED STREET WITH CLOSED SHOPS VARIOUS OF CLOSED SHOPS LARGELY DESERTED ROAD WITH CLOSED SHOPS AND FEW VEHICLES PLYING CLOSED SHOPS VARIOUS OF LARGELY DESERTED ROAD WITH FEW VEHICLES PLYING VARIOUS OF CLOSED SHOPS VEHICLES PLYING (SOUNDBITE) (Malayalam) KOCHI RESIDENT, GOPINATHAN, SAYING: "What's the point of having lockdown only on Sunday? If it needs to be done, then it should be done continuously. After Sunday, everything will be opened till Saturday. I don't think there's going to be any use of a Sunday lockdown" THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 29, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF FEW PEOPLE OUTSIDE PADMANABHASWAMY TEMPLE AUTORICKSHAW PLYING ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD AS PEOPLE WALK CLOSED SHOPS LOCK ON SHUTTER OF SHOP FEW VEHICLES PLYING VARIOUS OF CLOSED SHOPS PEOPLE STANDING ON ROADSIDE AS VEHICLES PASS PEOPLE STANDING PEOPLE WALKING ON ROADSIDE KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 29, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (SOUNDBITE) (English) KOTTAYAM POLICE CONSTABLE, M. MAHESH, SAYING: "Today all over Keralaâ€¦ lockdown day. Last few days people are very careless, shops are very careless; (there is) no sanitization in shops, no sanitization in shopping malls. People are very careless, lot of people in cities and rural areas come outside from their homes." THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (AUGUST 29, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICIALS CONDUCTING SECURITY CHECKS IN VEHICLES
- Embargoed: 12th September 2021 10:30
- Keywords: Health India Sunday coronavirus lockdown pandemic rising cases shut shops
- Location: KOCHI, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: KOCHI, THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KOTTAYAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESC00UN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The government imposed a complete lockdown in India's southern Kerala state on Sundays to curb the spread of coronavirus that is infecting over 30,000 people daily.
Roads remained deserted, shops closed and people stayed indoors as the lockdown came into effect.
Police personnel were deployed at various spots to find any lockdown violators.
An order issued on Saturday (August 28) said the state planned to lock down hard-hit areas and restrict public movement to mainly essential services and emergencies.
In Kerala, where cases have spiked in the wake of a major festival, the state government reported 31,265 new infections late on Saturday - comprising nearly 70% of the country's total new daily cases.
Cases had fallen to a five-month-low of 25,166 in the middle of the month but have risen sharply in the past few days.
India reported 45,083 new coronavirus infections and 460 deaths on Sunday (August 29), according to data from the health ministry, driven by surging cases in the southern state of Kerala.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None