- Title: Joni Mitchell to be honored by music world
- Date: 25th August 2021
- Summary: BEVERLY HILLS, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF SINGER-SONGWRITER JONI MITCHELL AT RED CARPET EVENT
- Embargoed: 8th September 2021 20:37
- Keywords: Joni Mitchell MusiCares
- Location: BEVERLY HILLS, LOS ANGELES AND WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: BEVERLY HILLS, LOS ANGELES AND WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: US
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Music,United States
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERS4JM5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell will be honored by the music world ahead of the annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles as the MusicCares person of the year.
MusicCares, the charitable arm of the Recording Academy, said on Wednesday (August 25) that artists would pay tribute to Mitchell at an event on Jan. 29.
Mitchell, 77, who has kept a low profile since suffering a brain aneurysm in 2015, said in a statement that she was honored to be chosen.
"I look forward to being part of this gala," she said.
Organizers did not say which artists would perform for Mitchell at the event, which acts as a fundraiser to help musicians struggling with health and other issues.
The Canadian-born "A Case of You" musician is regarded as one of the most influential singer-songwriters of the 1970s, inspiring artists ranging from Prince and Bjork to Brandi Carlile.
Other musicians or musical groups recently honored by MusiCares include Aerosmith, Fleetwood Mac and Dolly Parton.
The Grammy Awards are scheduled to take place in Los Angeles on Jan. 31.
(Production: Omar Younis)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None