- Title: Olympics official Al-Sabah attends forgery trial in Geneva court
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: SIGN FOR GENEVA COURTHOUSE AL-SABAH AND LAWYER, ALBERT RIGHINI, SEEN THROUGH WINDOW INSIDE COURTHOUSE SWISS AND GENEVA FLAGS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ARRIVING AT COURTHOUSE POLICE OFFICER ENTERING COURTHOUSE
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 09:30
- Keywords: Olympics al-Sabah courthouse forgery trial
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Europe,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002ESH2GCN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:One of the Olympics' most influential officials arrived at a Geneva court on Monday (August 30) to face trial over accusations of politically motivated forgery.
Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Ahmed al-Sabah, who had been charged in November 2020 by Swiss prosecutors of fabricating fake videos to implicate Kuwaiti government officials in a coup plot, along with four others, faces a five-day trial in criminal court, after it was postponed from February.
Al-Sabah, who joined the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in 1992 and served one of the longest stints in the governing body before temporarily standing down amid the case, has denied the allegations.
He stepped down from the presidential seat of the Association of National Olympic Committees (ANOC) in 2018 pending the case's outcome.
If declared guilty, al-Sabah could be sentenced for up to 10 years in prison.
(Production: Denis Balibouse, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None