- Title: Dog-and-owner duos race on land and sea in Croatian beach contest
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA (AUGUST 29, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DOG OWNERS AND DOGS RUNNING DRONE SHOT OF OWNERS AND DOGS RUNNING (MUTE) OWNER AND DOG JUMPING INTO SEA OWNER AND DOG JUMPING INTO SEA, SWIMMING, FROM DOG'S PERSPECTIVE OWNER AND DOG JUMPING INTO SEA OWNERS AND DOGS SWIMMING, PEOPLE WATCHING DOGS SWIMMING, SHOT FROM DOG'S PERSPECTIVE OWNER AND DOG SWIMMING UNDERWATER SHOT OF OWNER AND DOG SWIMMING OWNER AND DOG SWIMMING VARIOUS OF OWNER SWIMMING ALONGSIDE DOG ON BOARD DRONE SHOT OF BEACH WITH PEOPLE WATCHING RACE (MUTE) WOMAN GETTING OUT OF WATER WITH DOG DOGS ON BEACH, PEOPLE CHEERING MAN GOING THROUGH FLOWER GATE, DOG FOLLOWING (SOUNDBITE) (English) RACE ORGANISER, RUBY MONTENARI, ALONGSIDE DAUGHTER KORINA, SAYING: "This year we only had 13 competitors, a bit less than last year. My guess is that COVID tried to mess with our race but it couldn't, so it was still very good." (SOUNDBITE) (English) RUBY MONETARI'S DAUGHTER AND PARTICIPANT, KORINA MONTENARI, SAYING: JOURNALIST ASKING: "You were competing for the first time this year?" KORINA MONETARI: "Yes, it was my first time, but I couldn't finish because my dog doesn't swim." MONTENARI HANDING AWARD TO RACE WINNER, ANTONIJA PIRKER / DOG 'NANDO' (SOUNDBITE) (Croatian) RACE WINNER, ANTONIJA PIRKER WITH DOG 'NANDO', SAYING: "The dog is two years old now and I took him from the (dog) shelter in Crikvenica, he's been with me for half a year now and he is a good dog, top dog, can't say anything more." VARIOUS OF DOG OWNERS CHEERING, HELPING DOGS DRINKING BEER FROM BOWLS (SOUNDBITE) (Croatian) WINNERS IN BEER DRINKING COMPETITION, BRANKO SUDAR, WITH DOG 'HAN', SAYING: "My son prepared the dog, but obviously with the wrong beer (brand), so he drank more beer than the dog, while (the dog) was eager for beer, so he won." VARIOUS OF DOG OWNERS CHEERING, HELPING DOGS EATING ICE CREAM FROM BOWLS (SOUNDBITE) (Croatian) WINNERS IN ICE CREAM EATING COMPETITION, JELENA LESAJA WITH DOG 'JAGODA', SAYING: "Well, the preparations lasted for 11 years - that is Jagoda's age. Jagoda eats everything and we always have to mind that garbage bags are not open, we have to be careful about food portions, so this was rather an expected and well-deserved win."
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 11:04
- Keywords: Croatia Dog racing beach race competition race
- Location: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- City: CRIKVENICA, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESH2L2X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Dog-and-owner duos gathered on Sunday (August 29) in Crikvenica, for the traditional end-of-summer canine race hosted by one of Croatia's few dog-friendly beaches.
The event includes a short running and swimming race and some highly competitive ice cream speed-eating and beer drinking contests - by the dogs.
Thirteen owners and their dogs took part in the competition, running down the pier and then jumping into the water and swimming about 100 metres (328 ft) to the shore.
This year's race was won by Antonija Pirker and Nando, a two-year-old dog adopted from a local shelter.
Race organiser Ruby Montenari said this year's edition saw slightly fewer contestants than usual because of the coronavirus pandemic trying to "mess up" the event. Her daughter Korina took part in the competition, but couldn't finish as her canine companion was unable to swim.
Jelena Lesaja said she wasn't surprised her dog Jagoda won the ice cream eating contest, as her pet "eats everything" to the point that she has to mind that garbage bags are not left open.
(Production Boris Kavic, Fedja Grulovic, Hedy Beloucif)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None