- Title: California's Caldor fire moves closer to more heavily populated areas
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: EL DORADO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (AUGUST 29, 2021) (REUTERS) CALIFORNIA'S CALDOR FIRE BURNING IN FOREST VARIOUS OF CALDOR FIRE BURNING HOMES DRIVING SHOT OF CALDOR FIRE BURNING IN FOREST AS HEAVY SMOKE IS BILLOWING
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 08:52
- Keywords: Cailfornia wildfire Caldor Fire heat weather wildfire
- Location: EL DORADO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: EL DORADO COUNTY, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,United States,Wildfires/Forest Fires,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESH1YYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:California's Caldor fire moved closer to more heavily populated areas in the northern part of the state on Sunday (August 29), leading to more evacuation orders and warnings as well as road closures, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said.
The fire has been active for 14 days and has spread across 168,387 acres, the department added, saying it has caused evacuation orders in multiple counties.
The department issued updated evacuation warnings for El Dorado County that include the remainder of the South Lake Tahoe Basin.
The fire is 13% contained and has damaged 39 residential, commercial and other structures while destroying over 650 such structures so far. According to the department's website, the fire has also led to 5 injuries to fire fighters and civilians.
California, which typically has experienced its peak fire season in late summer and fall, is already on pace to see more of its landscape go up in flames this year than last, the worst year on record.
(Production: Fred Greaves, Njuwa Maina)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None