- Title: Milan mayor demands answers after tower block blaze
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: MILAN, ITALY (AUGUST 30, 2021) (REUTERS) BLACKENED RUIN OF APARTMENT BLOCK / SMOKE RISING FROM BUILDING DEBRIS ON GROUND SMOKE RISING FROM BUILDING STREET CLEANERS CLEANING UP DEBRIS FIRE BRIGADE ON LADDER NEXT TO BUILDING POLICE MAN WALKING PAST BUILDING/VIEW OF BUILDING DEBRIS ON GROUND BLACKENED RUIN OF BUILDING
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 10:24
- Keywords: Fire Milan clean up debris skyscraper
- Location: MILAN, ITALY
- City: MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESH24HZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The mayor of Italy's financial capital Milan demanded answers on Monday (August 30) over why a fire was able to rip through a recently built apartment block, melting the outside cladding as if it was made of butter.
Firefighters said everyone managed to escape the 18 storey building in the south of Milan, which was gutted by the blaze.
"The tower was built just over 10 years ago and it is unacceptable that such a modern building should have proved totally vulnerable," mayor Beppe Sala wrote on Facebook.
Among the residents in the high rise building was rapper Mahmood, winner of the 2019 San Remo music festival with his international hit 'Soldi'.
The initial fire was believed to have taken hold on the 15th floor, but witnesses said it quickly surged through the outside cladding, which appeared to liquefy in the heat.
"What was clear from the start was that the building's outer shell went up in flames far too quickly, in a manner reminiscent of the Grenfell Tower fire in London a few years ago," Sala said, referring to a 2017 blaze that killed 71 people.
(Production: Flavio Lo Scalzo, Gabriele Pileri, Eleanor Biles)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None