- Title: Ukrainian strongman athletes pull world's largest plane to set record
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: HOSTOMEL, UKRAINE (AUGUST 26, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF STRONGMAN ATHLETES WARMING UP AND STRETCHING VARIOUS OF ANTONOV-225 AIRPLANE, MRIYA, ON TARMAC STRONGMAN ATHLETES BEFORE SETTING NATIONAL RECORD VARIOUS OF MEN CHECKING EQUIPMENT VARIOUS OF MEN CLEANING EQUIPMENT STRONGMAN ATHLETES BEFORE PULLING MRIYA MRIYA ON TARMAC VARIOUS OF STRONGMAN ATHLETES PULLING MRIYA MRIYA ON TARMAC VARIOUS OF STRONGMAN ATHLETES RESTING (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) STRONGMAN ATHLETE, OLEKSANDR LASHYN, SAYING: "It is a unique occasion because it is the largest and the heaviest airplane in the world - Mriya. It is an airplane made in Ukraine. And we, Ukrainian strongman athletes, managed to pull it and make it move for over four meters. I believe this record is worth being in the Guinness record book." EQUIPMENT (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) REPRESENTATIVE OF UKRAINIAN NATIONAL RECORD BOOK, VITALIY ZORIN, SAYING: "Today, eight strongman athletes moved Mriya for four meters 30 cm within one minute 13 seconds. It is a world achievement, hurray!" / ZORIN HANDING OVER CERTIFICATE TO TEAM VARIOUS OF MRIYA ON TARMAC VARIOUS OF TEAM OF STRONGMAN ATHLETES POSING FOR PICTURES
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 15:36
- Keywords: Antonov enterprise Antonov-225 Mriya Ukraine aiplane manufacturer national record
- Location: HOSTOMEL, UKRAINE
- City: HOSTOMEL, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Europe,Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX2S7T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A group of eight Ukrainian strongman athletes set a national record on Thursday (August 26) by pulling the world's largest and heaviest cargo plane, a Guinness record holding Antonov-225, also known as Mriya.
The only one completed Mriya is still in use and can carry up to 250 tonnes and travel for up to 4,000 km (2,485 miles).
Placed in two lines one after another, the athletes managed to move Mriya for four meters 30 cm within one minute 13 seconds.
Representative of Ukraine's national record book said they will apply for the Guinness record.
Mriya, built in the Soviet Union in 1988, was developed to transport Soviet Buran space shuttle or other heavy cargos. With the collapse of the Soviet Union the Buran program was shut down and the plane was left on the territory of independent Ukraine.
(Production: Valentyn Ogirenko, Margaryta Chornokondratenko)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None