- Title: Exhausted migrants land on a Spanish beach
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: CASTILLO DEL ROMERAL, SPAIN (AUGUST 29, 2021) (NIGHT SHOTS) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS BEING ATTENDED BY EMERGENCY SERVICES AND CITIZENS VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS LYING AND SEATED ON THE BEACH COVERED IN BLANKETS EMERGENCY WORKERS TAKING MIGRANT TO AMBULANCE ON A GURNEY DINGHY AGROUND EMERGENCY SERVICES ATTENDING MIGRANTS MIGRANT LYING ON THE BEACH COVERED IN BLANKETS VARIOUS OF EMERGENCY SERVICES AND CITIZENS HELPING MIGRANTS
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 10:08
- Keywords: Canary Islands dighy migrants disembarking migrants on the beach
- Location: CASTILLO DEL ROMERAL, SPAIN
- City: CASTILLO DEL ROMERAL, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Europe,Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESH1AH3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A dinghy carrying around 55 migrants landed in the middle of the night on Sunday (August 29) on a beach in Spain's Canary Islands.
The migrants, most of them Sub-Saharan, were visibly exhausted and needed the assistance of health workers. Passersby also helped in the operation offering blankets and water bottles.
The dinghy in which they were travelling was seen aground just a few meters off the Castillo del Romeral beach, in the southeast of Gran Canaria island.
So far this year more than 8,300 migrants have made the dangerous crossing from the West Africa coast to the Canaries archipelago, over twice as many as in the same period in 2020, which itself saw an eight-fold increase from 2019.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Guillermo Martinez, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None