- Title: Drone footage captures graffiti artistâ€™s giant mountainside work
- Date: 26th August 2021
- Summary: MOLESON, SWITZERLAND (AUGUST 25, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS DRONE SHOTS OF FRENCH GRAFFITI ARTIST SAYPE'S MOUNTAINTOP PROJECT 'UN NOUVEAU SOUFFLE" (A NEW LEASE OF LIFE) (MUTE) FRENCH GRAFFITI ARTIST SAYPE USING EQUIPMENT DRAFT OF PAINTING 'UN NOUVEAU SOUFFLE" VARIOUS OF SAYPE WALKING ON MOUNTAIN PATH WITH SPRAY GUN VARIOUS OF SAYPE HOLDING A DRAFT OF HIS ARTWORK, SPRAYING PAINT ON GROUND DRONE SHOT OF SAYPE STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF HIS ARTWORK, SPRAYING PAINT ON THE GROUND (MUTE) SAYPE SPRAYING PAINT ON GROUND DRONE SHOT OF SAYPE'S ARTWORK ON MOUNTAINTOP (MUTE) / MOUNTAINOUS LANDSCAPE SAYPE LYING DOWN NEXT TO HIS ARTWORK (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH GRAFFITI ARTIST, SAYPE, SAYING: "Here, I painted a little boy who is blowing just like those toys you had when you were a kid that blows bubbles and creates clouds. And the idea is that my work always interacts with the environment and I feed on the environment and the work feeds on the environment. There is a bit of both. And I have to create a real synergy between the work, the space around it, and the aesthetics of the place. It (the place) is known for having lots of clouds. So I used this place for this artwork and I connected it with the clouds, childhood as well as the news because that's also what I wanted to do. I think we live in a world that induces anxiety and we need a little lightness. So I believe that the clouds mean dreams and imagination -- when we were kids, we liked to imagine shapes in the clouds, and so on -- and I believe that this is a moment where we have to breathe and also imagine the world of tomorrow, with a certain lightness, through daydreaming." DRONE SHOT OF PAINTING ON MOUNTAIN / CLOUD LAYER (MUTE) VARIOUS DRONE SHOTS OF SAYPE AT WORK (MUTE) DRONE SHOT OF PAINTING NEAR CABLE CAR TERMINAL (MUTE) VARIOUS DRONE SHOTS OF SAYPE AT WORK ON MOUNTAINSIDE (MUTE) HIKERS WALKING VARIOUS OF PAINT ON GRASS (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH GRAFFITI ARTIST, SAYPE, SAYING: "What is special about my work, in my opinion, is that there is real research and development. And then I developed a paint that is meant to be eco-responsible. In general terms, it's water, charcoal, chalk, and casein, which is a protein in milk - we are in the right region for that - which I use as a kind of natural glue." DRONE SHOT OF MOLESON MOUNTAIN (MUTE) HIKERS WALKING PAST SAYPE'S ARTWORK DRONE SHOT OF SAYPE'S ARTWORK, MOUNTAINS (MUTE)
- Embargoed: 9th September 2021 12:24
- Keywords: Alps France French Hip-hop Moleson Saype Swiss Switzerland Un nouveau souffle art artist graffiti mountain painting
- Location: MOLESON, SWITZERLAND
- City: MOLESON, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Art,Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe
- Reuters ID: LVA001ERX1MC9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A French graffiti artist's monumental mountaintop project aims to lift people's spirits by helping to recapture the childlike wonder at clouds drifting by.
The 1,500 square metres painting "Un nouveau souffle" (A New Lease of Life) by French artist Saype, 32, graces the summit of the Moleson peak in the western Swiss Alps.
"I think we live in a world that induces anxiety and we need a little lightness. So I believe that the clouds are also a bit about dreams and imagination," Saype said.
Using biodegradable paints made from natural pigments such as coal and chalk, it depicts a little boy blowing bubbles in an area known for its clouds, seeking to reflect the link between children's sky gazing, he told Reuters.
Known for massive works of graffiti on grass best seen from the air, Saype has also adorned sites ranging from an impoverished shantytown in South Africa to the lawn in front of the United Nations' European headquarters in Geneva.
(Production: Denis Balibouse, Christian Levaux, Clement Rossignol)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None