- Title: Fifty shades of red: redheads cherish 'funny connection' at Dutch festival
- Date: 30th August 2021
- Summary: TILBURG, NETHERLANDS (AUGUST 29, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WITH RED HAIR POSING FOR GROUP PHOTO DURING "REDHEAD DAYS" FESTIVAL, CHEERING REDHEADS SINGING "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" FOR SOMEONE AT FESTIVAL FRENCH FLAG ON ARM OF SOMEONE ATTENDING FESTIVAL PEOPLE TAKING STICKERS SHOWING COUNTRIES' FLAGS REDHEADS AT FESTIVAL STANDING NEXT TO BANNER REDHEAD AT FESTIVAL USING COLOUR SAMPLES ON BANNER TO FIND OUT HER EXACT HAIR COLOUR (SOUNDBITE) (English) DANISH PARTICIPANT, LENA, 30, SAYING: "We have this funny connection with others, you meet a lot of people, you can come alone. It's just special." (SOUNDBITE) (English) BELGIAN PARTICIPANT, JEAN-NICOLAS, SAYING: "I personally feel something when I see redheads or red-haired people, I feel like effectively we belong to a certain community, there is something that brings us together, I would say." PEOPLE QUEUING AT ENTRANCE TO FESTIVAL (SOUNDBITE) (English) REDHEAD DAYS FESTIVAL DIRECTOR, BART ROUWENHORST, SAYING: "It's very rare to have red hair, and we see that people that have something very special, once in a while they love to be in the majority. At the redhead days, with hundreds and hundreds of redheads together, that's a special feeling for people. For example, we have an Egyptian redhead who said, 'In my home country, I am the only redhead in the city, but here, I see my family, my worldwide family." VARIOUS OF REDHEADS DRAWING REDHEAD MODEL IN LIFE DRAWING CLASS
- Embargoed: 13th September 2021 12:32
- Keywords: Netherlands Redheads festival hair colour
- Location: TILBURG, NETHERLANDS
- City: TILBURG, NETHERLANDS
- Country: Netherlands
- Topics: Europe,Human-Led Quirky,Human-Led Stories
- Reuters ID: LVA001ESH19P5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of redheads from around the world gathered at a festival in the southern Dutch town of Tilburg on Sunday (August 29).
The annual "Redhead Days" event, which was cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, brought visitors from countries including Britain, Germany, Hungary, and the United States to a series of meet-and-greet events and activities including a life drawing class.
Organisers say attendance at the three-day festival, held in the Netherlands since 2005, was sharply down on previous years, with activities including lectures and a bar crawl scrapped due to COVID-19 restrictions.
But some participants said they still felt a connection to others.
"At the redhead days, with hundreds and hundreds of redheads together, that's a special feeling for people. For example, we have an Egyptian redhead who said, 'In my home country, I am the only redhead in the city, but here, I see my family, my worldwide family'," organiser Bart Rouwenhorst, himself an ally rather than a redhead, told Reuters.
(Production: Piroschka van de Wouw, Johnny Cotton)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None