- Title: Dying traditional horse cart occupation in India cries for help
- Date: 4th September 2021
- Summary: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (SEPTEMBER 04, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE SITTING ON HORSE CART HORSE VARIOUS OF HORSE CART MOVING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) HORSE CART DRIVER, SONU, SAYING: "Earlier, my ancestors used to ride a horse cart and now I have inherited the profession for the last 20-25 years. We do not get many passengers these days because other motored means of transportation have risen. It is difficult to make the ends meet." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON HORSE CARTS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PASSENGER, RAMESH CHAND JAISWAL, SAYING: "I hope this profession survives, they can fulfil their family needs. It will also save the horses' lives, otherwise, they will have to let go (to be sent to slaughterhouses)." VARIOUS OF HORSE CART MOVING
- Embargoed: 18th September 2021 13:22
- Keywords: India horse cart motor vehicles occupation rickshaw traditional vintage
- Location: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- City: PRAYAGRAJ, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001ETAYN9R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Traditional horse carts, known to be symbolic of the flavour of the ancient Prayagraj city is giving a desperate cry for action as dwindling income might force them to shut down.
"We don't get many passengers these days because other motored means of transportation have risen. It is difficult to make the ends meet," said a horse cart driver, Sonu on Saturday (September 04).
Horse-drawn carriages were a common sight in India's northern city of Prayagraj, formerly called Allahabad, where the people used to enjoy the rides to get a taste of the old world charm. The city also used to host a race of the horse carts on the famous M.G. Road.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None