- Title: Muslim organisations in Sri Lanka condemn attack in New Zealand
- Date: 4th September 2021
- Summary: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA (SEPTEMBER 4, 2021) (REUTERS) SPOKESMAN FOR THE MUSLIM RELIGIOUS AND CIVIL ORGANISATION COLLECTIVE, MOHAMED HISHAM, WALKING INTO BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (English) SPOKESMAN FOR THE MUSLIM RELIGIOUS AND CIVIL ORGANISATION COLLECTIVE, MOHAMED HISHAM, SAYING: "As Sri Lankans and as representatives of Muslim community organisations in particular, we are shocked and saddened to hear about this horrific act of terrorism in Auckland. As prominent organisations who are representative of religious, civil, women's and youth segments of the Muslim community in Sri Lanka, we unequivocally condemn this act of violence. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and all New Zealanders at this moment of grief." HISHAM ENTERING ELEVATOR
- Embargoed: 18th September 2021 11:57
- Keywords: Colombo Mohamed Hisham Muslim Religious and Civil Organisation Collective Sri Lanka attack spokesman
- Location: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- City: COLOMBO, SRI LANKA
- Country: Sri Lanka
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA001ETAY9TZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A spokesman representing Muslim organisations in Sri Lanka on Saturday (September 4) condemned an attack by an Islamist militant in New Zealand.
On Friday (September 3), the knife-wielding Sri Lankan national, inspired by the Islamic State militant group, had stabbed and wounded seven people in a supermarket. Police shot dead the 32-year-old attacker moments after he launched his stabbing spree.
"We are shocked and saddened to hear about this horrific act of terrorism in Aucklandâ€¦ we unequivocally condemn this act of violence. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and all New Zealanders at this moment of grief," said Mohamed Hisham from the Muslim Religious and Civil Organisation Collective.
In a statement, the organisation also stated that hate crimes should not be associated with a particular nationality, ethnicity, culture or religion.
(Production: Waruna Karunatilake)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None