- Title: Forest officials arrest two smugglers, seize 55 parakeets in eastern India
- Date: 4th September 2021
- Summary: SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (SEPTEMBER 03, 2021) (ANI-NO USE INDIA) SIGNBOARD ON BUILDING READING (English) "DIRECTORATE OF FORESTS OFFICE OF THE RANGE OFFICER" VARIOUS OF PARAKEETS IN CAGES FOREST OFFICIAL STANDING NEAR CAGE WITH PARAKEETS VARIOUS OF PARAKEETS IN CAGES (SOUNDBITE) (English) DIVISIONAL FOREST OFFICER, BAIKUNTHAPUR FOREST DIVISION, HARI KRISHNAN, SAYING: "It was seized from the Canal Road. They were taking it from Malbazar to Bihar area. Total 55 numbers (of parakeets) were there and two persons were arrested." VARIOUS OF PARAKEETS IN CAGES FOREST OFFICIALS STANDING WITH ACCUSED ACCUSED STANDING
- Embargoed: 18th September 2021 08:03
- Keywords: India Siliguri arrests bird forest officials parakeets police smuggling wildlife
- Location: SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- City: SILIGURI, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA001ETAYJBJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Forest officials seized 55 parakeets and arrested two persons on charges of smuggling in India's eastern Siliguri city on Friday (September 03).
The arrests were made in Sarugarah forest range area of the city after the smugglers were caught taking the parakeets in three cages on bike from Malbazar town to eastern Bihar state.
The seized parakeets included the Alexandrine parakeet and the red-breasted parakeet.
While the accused were to be produced in the court, the parakeets were set to be released in the Bengal Safari park.
The parakeets also known as 'talking birds' as they can imitate the human voice are protected under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None