- Title: Jessica Chastain, Oscar Isaac premiere new HBO series at Venice
- Date: 4th September 2021
- Summary: VENICE, ITALY (SEPTEMBER 4, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF ACTOR OSCAR ISAAC ARRIVING ON RED CARPET ACTOR JESSICA CHASTAIN ARRIVING IN CAR ISAAC POSING ON THE RED CARPET VARIOUS OF CHASTAIN POSING ON RED CARPET PHOTOGRAPHERS ISAAC AND CHASTAIN WALKING TO EACH OTHER AND HUGGING CAMERA OPERATOR ISAAC KISSING CHASTAIN'S ARM / CHASTAIN LAUGHING / CHASTAIN AND ISAAC JOKING AND HUGGING AS THEY POSE FOR PHOTOS PHOTOGRAPHERS RED CARPET ARRIVALS PHOTOGRAPHERS ISAAC AND CHASTAIN HUGGING AND POSING FOR PHOTOS PHOTOGRAPHERS APPLAUDING
- Embargoed: 18th September 2021 19:51
- Keywords: Hagai Levi Ingmar Bergman Jessica Chastain Oscar Isaac Scenes from a Marriage Venice film festival
- Location: VENICE, ITALY
- City: VENICE, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Europe,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA001ETAZEX9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Actors Jessica Chastain and Oscar Isaac appeared on the red carpet at the Venice Film Festival on Saturday (September 4) evening to premiere their new television miniseries "Scenes from a Marriage".
The two have known each other for years, but being old friends was a mixed blessing when it came to playing a married couple in the show, the pair said earlier on Saturday.
Chastain, 44, and Isaac, 42, who both studied at the Juilliard arts school and have been friends since college days, portray Mira and Jonathan in the HBO series, an adaptation of acclaimed Swedish director Ingmar Bergman's miniseries of the same title.
Directed by Israeli filmmaker Hagai Levi, the 2021 version is set in the United States and examines the themes of love, marriage, monogamy, and divorce, also explored in the original series, through a contemporary lens.
Chastain and Isaac described their close bond offset as "both a blessing and a curse" when it came to portraying the couple, translating to an easy intimacy and trust but allowing for little personal space.
"We got to the point where we were reading each other's minds and I was like, 'get out of my head!'. I felt on this job there was no quiet time," Chastain told a news conference earlier in the day.
An intimacy coordinator helped put the actors at ease when it came to filming sex scenes, but they were awkward nonetheless, she added.
"I would still get embarrassed. Bourbon helped a lot," she said.
All five episodes of "Scenes from a Marriage" are screening Out of Competition at the 78th Venice Film Festival which runs through Sept. 11.
(Production: Christian Levaux, Cristiano Corvino, Hanna Rantala)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None