- Title: More evacuations as Spanish wildfire blazes for fifth day
- Date: 12th September 2021
- Summary: RONDA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EVACUEES ARRIVING AT SPORTS CENTRE WORKERS PREPARING AREA FOR EVACUEES EVACUEES AT SPORTS CENTRE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EVACUEE ABRAHAM LOPEZ, WHO WORKS AS COMPUTER SCIENTIST, SAYING: â€œWe have lived the evacuation a little bit nervous. It has all been very fast and efficient if I say the truth but we are a bit nervous. Because we donâ€™t know what is going to happen.â€ (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EVACUEE ALEJANDRO RUBIO, WHO WORKS AS COMPUTER SCIENTIST, SAYING: â€œThe situation is of uncertainty because we never imagined that they were going to evacuate the village. This morning at about 10:30 they said that the village had to be evacuated. They gave two warnings one at 10:30 am and the other at 11am. We thought we didnâ€™t have to leave but at the end they said yes just in case." WORKERS HELPING EVACUEE TO SIT EVACUEES DRINKING JUICE AND WATER VARIOUS OF EVACUEES AT SPORTS CENTRE HEALTH WORKERS OUTSIDE SPORTS CENTRE DURING MEETING HEALTH WORKERS TAKING WHEELCHAIR AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT FROM TRUCK EVACUEE LEAVING VAN AND HEADING TO SPORTS CENTRE VOLUNTEERS CARRYING WATER FOR EVACUEES WORKERS CARRYING CHAIRS FOR EVACUEES HEALTH WORKERS LEAVING HEALTH VEHICLE VOLUNTEERS CARRYING DRINKS FOR EVACUEES VARIOUS OF WORKERS AND POLICE OFFICERS PREPARING SPORTS CENTRE FOR EVACUEES STRETCHERS AT SPORTS CENTRE EXTERIOR OF SPORTS CENTRE
- Embargoed: 26th September 2021 13:52
- Keywords: Estepona Spain blaze evacuees southern Spain wildfire
- Location: RONDA, GENALGUACIL AND ESTEPONA, SPAIN
- City: RONDA, GENALGUACIL AND ESTEPONA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Wildfires/Forest Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA001EUEZ1HJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Two more Andalusian towns were evacuated on Sunday (September 12) morning as Spain sent in military backup to tackle a wildfire which continued to rage close to a popular Costa del Sol resort.
Fanned by strong winds and high late-summer temperatures, the flames have driven over 1,000 people from their homes and killed one emergency worker since they erupted on Wednesday (September 8) in the mountainous Sierra Bermeja above Estepona, a Mediterranean resort favoured by British tourists and retirees.
"We will work in coordination and without rest in the face of the fire that is devastating the province of Malaga," said prime minister Pedro Sanchez on Twitter. He announced the deployment of the Military Emergency Unit to help firefighters tackle the blaze.
Andalusia's regional forest fire agency said on Sunday 365 firefighters, supported by 41 aircraft and 25 vehicles, were currently working to put out the fire.
Andalusia's regional government announced on Sunday emergency services had ordered the "preventative evacuation" of the towns of Jubrique, population over 500, and Genalguacil, population around 400, where residents on Saturday (September 11) had been confined to their homes because of the low-lying smoke in the area.
"The evacuation is taking place with maximum security measures and before a possible unfavourable evolution of the fire in that area," the regional government said in a statement.
Evacuees are being housed in a sports center in the nearby town of Ronda.
Emergency services said another two villages, Farajan and Pujerra, will be evacuated on Sunday as a preventative measure.
Regional environment chief Carmen Crespo said on Friday the blaze appeared to have been started deliberately and investigators were working to uncover more details.
(Production: Jon Nazca, Mariano Valladolid, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None