- Title: Brazilians protest in Sao Paulo to demand Bolsonaro's impeachment
- Date: 12th September 2021
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (SEPTEMBER 12, 2021) (REUTERS) GENERAL OF PROTEST AGAINST BRAZILIAN PRESIDENT JAIR BOLSONARO PROTESTER HOLDING BANNER READING (Portuguese): "BOLSONARO OUT" VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PROTESTERS CHANTING IN FRONT OF THE SAO PAULO MUSEUM OF ART PROTESTER WAVING BRAZILIAN FLAG DEMOCRATIC LABOUR PARTY (PDT) POLITICIAN, CIRO GOMES, ARRIVING TO THE PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) DEMOCRATIC LABOUR PARTY (PDT) POLITICIAN, CIRO GOMES, SAYING: "It is a step all Brazilians of different ideological currents must take to protect Brazilian democracy from a tentative coup from a criminal who is destroying our productive and social fabric." PROTESTER HOLDING A BRAZIL SCARF PROTESTER WITH MEGAPHONE YELLING: "Bolsonaro out!" CLOSE OF PROTESTER'S FEET JUMPING BOLSONARO'S FORMER HEALTH MINISTER, LUIZ HENRIQUE MANDETTA, ARRIVING TO PROTEST (SOUNDBITE) (Portuguese) FORMER HEALTH MINISTER, LUIZ HENRIQUE MANDETTA, SAYING: "Today democracy itself is at risk. This is not just the younger generation's fight, it's everyone's. We are here to fight for democracy, for democratic rights." PROTESTERS WAVING BRAZILIAN FLAGS IN FRONT OF GIANT CARTOON OF FORMER PRESIDENT LUIZ INACIO LULA DA SILVA IN JAILED PYJAMAS CHAINED TO BOLSONARO IN A STRAIGHT JACKET CLOSE OF GIANT CARTOON OF FORMER PRESIDENT LUIZ INACIO LULA DA SILVA IN JAILED PYJAMAS CHAINED TO BOLSONARO IN A STRAIGHT JACKET
- Embargoed: 26th September 2021 21:18
- Keywords: Ciro Gomes Jair Bolsonaro Luiz Henrique Mandetta Lula da Silva impeachment
- Location: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- City: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,South America / Central America,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA001EUEWSW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Protesters gathered in Sao Paulo's Paulista Avenue on Sunday (September 12) to demand the impeachment of Jair Bolsonaro and to protest against his handling of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
People carried Brazilian flags and signs with the popular slogan 'Bolsonaro out!'.
The demonstrations took place days after Bolsonaro urged his sympathizers to mobilise against his perceived enemies in Congress and the courts on Independence Day (September 7).
Former Health Minister Luiz Henrique Mandetta, who was fired by Bolsonaro in April 2020 after clashing with him over how to fight the new coronavirus, attended the event.
"Today democracy itself is at risk," he said. "This is not just the younger generation's fight, it's everyone's."
Earlier this week, the president said he would no longer comply with certain Supreme Court rulings, deepening a rift with the judiciary and hurting Brazilian markets. Bolsonaro apologized days later saying that his recent attacks came from "the heat of the moment".
More than 585,000 people have died from COVID-19 in Brazil, with nearly 21 million cases.
(Production: Pablo Garcia, Leonardo Benassatto, Nina Lopez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None