- Title: Man Utd's Ibrahimovic libelled by ex-athletics manager - Swedish court
- Date: 9th January 2017
- Summary: STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (FILE - MAY 26, 2016) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SWEDEN STRIKER ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC AT TRAINING
- Embargoed: 24th January 2017 12:13
- Keywords: Ibrahimovic / Sweden / libel / Manchester United / court
- Location: KARLSTAD AND STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN / MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: KARLSTAD AND STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN / MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: Sweden
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0025YD09BZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART QUALITY AS INCOMING
A Swedish court found former national track and field team manager Ulf Karlsson guilty of aggravated libel against Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Monday (January 9) for suggesting he used performance-enhancing substances.
The district court in Karlstad ordered Karlsson to pay a fine of 24,000 Swedish crowns for comments, at an April 2016 panel discussion, about what he called a sudden weight gain by the 35-year-old, who is Sweden's top goalscorer.
Subsequent remarks Karlsson made to a journalist were not found to be libellous as they fell under laws governing freedom of the press, the court decided.
"The court's opinion is that in the context of what was said Ulf Karlsson gave the impression that Zlatan was doping during his time at (Italian club) Juventus."
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None