- Title: Israel strikes Gaza in retaliation for rocket fire, military says
- Date: 12th September 2021
- Summary: RAFAH, GAZA (SEPTEMBER 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAMAGED EMPTY CHICKEN FARM VARIOUS OF MAN CLEARING DEBRIS
- Embargoed: 26th September 2021 07:30
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians strikes tension
- Location: ABOVE GAZA, RAFAH, GAZA
- City: ABOVE GAZA, RAFAH, GAZA
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA002EUEYFD3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israel carried out air strikes in the Gaza Strip on Sunday (September 12) in response to Palestinian rocket fire into its territory, the Israeli military said.
Tension between Israel and the Palestinians has risen over the past week, after six Palestinian militants escaped from a maximum security Israeli jail on Monday (September 6). Israeli forces have since captured four of the inmates.
Drawing Israeli air strikes, Gaza militants fired a rocket into Israel on Friday (September 10) when two of the prisoners were apprehended and then again on Saturday (September 11), after two more escaped inmates were caught. The Israeli military said it struck targets belonging to Hamas, the Islamist armed group that rules Gaza. There were no reports of casualties.
A fragile truce between Israel and Hamas ended 11 days of fierce fighting in May in which at least 250 Palestinians and 13 in Israel were killed.
(Production: Bassam Masoud, Rinat Harash, Lianne Back)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None