- Title: Few protesters outside Evergrande building a day after security clearance
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC ON SHENZHEN STREETS SCOOTER PARKING AREA OUTSIDE EVERGRANDE BUILDING PROTESTERS SITTING ON GROUND WHILE SECURITY OFFICERS LOOKING ON SECURITY OFFICER WALKING PAST VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SITTING ON GROUND POLICE OFFICERS AT INTERSECTION WITH ANTI-RIOT SHIELDS VARIOUS OF SECURITY OUTSIDE EVERGRANDE BUILDING POLICE VEHICLE PARKED ON ROADSIDE / MAN WALKING PEDESTRIANS WALKING
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 09:57
- Keywords: China Evergrande Shenzhen debt finance police protest security
- Location: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA
- City: SHENZHEN, GUANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Debt Markets,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001EV3VKG7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Only a few protesters remained outside the Shenzhen headquarters of real estate developer China Evergrande Group on Friday (September 17), after security personnel cleared the gathering the night before.
The country's second biggest property developer is wrestling with a liquidity crisis, scrambling to raise funds as it teeters between a messy meltdown with far-reaching impact, a managed collapse or a government bailout.
Disgruntled Evergrande investors as well as vendors who say they are owed money have gathered this week at company headquarters in the southern city and reportedly elsewhere in China.
Earlier on Thursday (September 16), Evergrande's main unit, Hengda Real Estate Group Co Ltd, applied to suspend trading of its onshore corporate bonds following a downgrade. While protesters numbered around a hundred on Monday (September 13), numbers had dwindled to around two dozen by Thursday.
(Production: David Kirton, Fabian Hamacher)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None