- Title: Floods inundate dozens of villages in eastern India
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: WEST MIDNAPUR, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) PARTIALLY SUBMERGED HOTEL SURROUNDED BY FLOODWATER PARTIALLY SUBMERGED ROADROLLER PEOPLE WATCHING FLOODWATER FROM HUT FLOODED RESIDENTIAL AREA AMID RAINFALL WOMAN WATCHING RAINFALL FROM HOUSE DOOR WITH BABY IN HER ARMS VARIOUS OF FLOODED RESIDENTIAL AREAS (SOUNDBITE) (Bengali) SHOPKEEPER, MIR AHMED ALI, SAYING: "All the items in the shop are destroyed. Everything is damaged completely. What's destroyed is destroyed, now I am taking the remaining items home with me." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING AMID FLOODWATER (SOUNDBITE) (Bengali) VILLAGER, BIKRAM, SAYING: "The water level keeps rising slowly-slowly, it's not decreasing at all." VILLAGERS ON BOAT VARIOUS OF BOATMEN WITH BOATS
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 11:28
- Keywords: India Monsoon West Midnapur damage floods rain water level waterlogging west Bengal
- Location: WEST MIDNAPUR, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- City: WEST MIDNAPUR, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Disaster/Accidents,Floods
- Reuters ID: LVA001EV3WMDR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Dozens of villages were inundated after floods in eastern India's West Midnapur district wreaked havoc, displacing thousands over the past week.
Villagers on Friday (September 17) were seen commuting on boats and wading through calf-deep water as residential areas remained partially submerged.
Annual rainfall is essential in India as rains support two-thirds of the 1.3 billion population living in rural areas who rely on farming. But excessive rainfalls cause problems like floods, landslides, and water-borne diseases.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None