- Title: Soccer-Brazil's Pele re-enters ICU at hospital, ESPN Brasil reports
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: SANTOS, BRAZIL (FILE - JUNE 15, 2014) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** PELE ENTERING PELE MUSEUM RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PELE AT EVENT FOR UNDER PRIVILEGED CHILDREN SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (FILE - JUNE 16, 2016) (REUTERS) PELE WAVING AFTER RECEIVING A SPECIAL OLYMPIC MEDAL AT EVENT SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (FILE - JUNE 23, 2014) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PELE AND OTHERS AT NEWS CONFERENCE RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PELE AT PRIVATE COMPANY EVENT WITH CHILDREN SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (FILE - NOVEMBER 8, 2011) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PELE AT BOOK LAUNCH STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (FILE - AUGUST 14, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PELE AT EVENT WITH SWEDISH PLAYERS IN ROSUNDA STADIUM, WHERE 1958 WORLD CUP FINAL WAS PLAYED
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 19:50
- Keywords: File ICU soccer system.scripts.Brazil
- Location: MILAN, ITALY / EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY, UNITED STATES / STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN / SAO PAULO, BRAZIL / PARIS, FRANCE / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / SANTOS, BRAZIL / RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: MILAN, ITALY / EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY, UNITED STATES / STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN / SAO PAULO, BRAZIL / PARIS, FRANCE / LONDON, ENGLAND, UK / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / SANTOS, BRAZIL / RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Topics: South America / Central America,Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA003EV3ZK93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Brazil soccer legend Pele has re-entered an intensive care unit at Sao Paulo's Albert Einstein Hospital, ESPN Brasil reported on Friday (September 17), in an apparent deterioration of his health after he left the unit earlier this week.
The hospital said it had no new information.
ESPN Brasil said Pele, an 80-year-old, three-time World Cup winner, was re-admitted to the ICU due to acid reflux.
He had a colon tumor removed this month and was transferred out of the ICU on Tuesday.
After leaving the ICU, he said in a message to fans on Instagram that he was ready for "90 minutes, plus extra time."
Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.
(Production: Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None