- Title: Siberian villagers vote in Russian parliamentary election
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: TARBAGATAY, REPUBLIC OF BURYATIA, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ELECTION COMMISSION MEMBERS WITH PORTABLE BALLOT BOX WALKING BALLOT BOX IN HAND ELECTION COMMISSION MEMBERS APPROACHING VOTER VARIOUS OF HOME VOTING MEMBER OF ELECTION COMMISSION ASKING VOTER THROUGH WINDOW IF SHE WILL VOTE WOMAN OPENING GATE, WELCOMING ELECTION COMMISSION MEMBERS INSIDE HER YARD VARIOUS OF OLD WOMAN VOTING VARIOUS OF MEMBER OF ELECTION COMMISSION WITH BALLOT BOX IN HAND MEMBER OF ELECTION COMMISSION WALKING PAST DECORATED FENCE DECORATIONS ON FENCE VARIOUS OF OLD WOMAN VOTING VARIOUS OF DOG MEMBERS OF ELECTION COMMISSION IN VOTER'S KITCHEN (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) VOTER, VLADIMIR LINEVSKIY, SAYING: "It's every citizen's duty (to vote). Since childhood, I remember there was a queue to vote from 5 a.m. or earlier. It's an election! How can we not vote? It's Soviet, not Russian (not to vote)." BOLSHOI KUNALEI, REPUBLIC OF BURYATIA, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VILLAGE STREET VIEW (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) VOTER, MARIA VASILYEVA, SAYING (ASKED WHO WILL WIN THE ELECTION): "I think it will be United Russia. It's a strong team. They are for truth, for stability. No, there are many things which are not yet done. But it's life. What would one want?" VARIOUS OF VILLAGE STREET TARBAGATAY, REPUBLIC OF BURYATIA, RUSSIA (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING AND BALLOTS IN BALLOT BOXES (MUTE) DRONE FOOTAGE OF VILLAGE
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 15:38
- Keywords: Buryatia Duma election Russia Russian voting Siberia parliamentary election
- Location: REPUBLIC OF BURYATIA, RUSSIA
- City: REPUBLIC OF BURYATIA, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001EV3YZPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of Tarbagatay and Bolshoi Kunalei, two sleepy villages hidden in vast spaces of Russia's southern Siberia, took part in nationwide voting on Friday (September 17).
Election commission employees travelled to the homes of elderly voters who could not come to the polling stations themselves due to health conditions or coronavirus risks.
The voters welcomed officials, dressed personal protective equipment in their traditional-looking country houses and voted in their houses.
According to the official statistics, there are around 700,000 people eligible to vote in the region of Buryatia, which is less than one per cent of the total number in Russia.
In the 2021 election, which will last till Sunday (September 19) a new State Duma will be formed for the next five years.
Half of the deputies (225) are elected by party lists, half by single-mandate constituencies.
(Production: Maxim Shemetov, Maria Vasilyeva)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None