- Title: Emotions run high among demonstrators during visit by Cuban leader to Mexico
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) CUBAN PRESIDENT DIAZ-CANEL GETTING OUT OF VEHICLE TO GREET SUPPORTERS OUTSIDE THE CUBAN EMBASSY IN MEXICO DEMONSTRATORS IN FAVOUR OF THE CUBAN GOVERNMENT STANDING BEHIND BARRIERS HOLDING BANNERS DIAZ-CANEL WAVING AT SUPPORTERS DEMONSTRATORS IN FAVOUR OF DIAZ-CANEL CHANTING DIAZ-CANEL LEAVING ON BOARD VEHICLE VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS CHANTING WITH CUBAN FLAG / CUBAN FLAG WITH IMAGE OF DIAZ-CANEL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MEMBER OF COMMUNIST PARTY, ANGEL CHAVEZ, SAYING: "What's happened is that there has been a series of counter-revolutionary people who have come here to offend the president, which in reality damages the relations between Mexico and Cuba, damages relations between the Mexican and Cuban workers but we find ourselves in this position. We want to express our solidarity and avoid any expression of aggression against Cuban President Diaz-Canel." SUPPORTERS EXPRESS SUPPORT FOR CUBAN GOVERNMENT CUBAN DEMONSTRATORS WHO REJECT VISIT BY DIAZ-CANEL BEING HARASSED POLICE LOOKING ON WOMAN SHOUTING ''LONG LIVE FREE CUBA'' DEMONSTRATORS WHO REJECT VISIT BY DIAZ-CANEL SURROUNDED BY MEXICAN POLICE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) OPPONENT OF DIAZ-CANEL, LUIS GABRIEL, SAYING: ''All those wimps, who have been brought here just repeat themselves because they have nothing to argue. We are patriots here, we support Cuba's freedom. This is not about the right, the left, or a political position. It's about freedom, the basic rights every citizen in the world should have. That's what the Cuban dictatorship exports. There they are, they have their wimps, their puppets to replicate the same acts of repudiation they carry out in Cuba and replicate them here.'' POLICE PROTECTING CUBAN EMBASSY VARIOUS OF CUBAN EMBASSY EXTERIOR
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 21:47
- Keywords: Cuba Diaz-Canel Mexico City protest
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: South America / Central America,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EV3ZWW7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Demonstrators for and against a visit by Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel to Mexico, demonstrated on Friday (September 17) outside the Cuban Embassy.
Diaz-Canel briefly got out of his vehicle to greet his supporters.
The demonstration was largely peaceful except for a few arguments between protesters on opposing sides.
Cuban government supporters were given a free reign, while protesters against the government were blocked by the police.
Diaz-Canel is in Mexico to attend a summit that will convene recently elected members of a "pink tide" of leftist Latin American leaders.
The presidents of Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and elsewhere will meet on Saturday (September 18) at the summit of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC), a regional body that Venezuela's late leader Hugo Chavez helped set up in 2011.
Diaz-Canel's trip to Mexico is the Cuban leader's first foreign visit since huge protests swept the island in July, shaking the communist government as it struggles to manage the coronavirus pandemic and shortages of food, fuel and medicine.
(Production: Josue Gonzalez, Geraldine Downer)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None