- Title: Beijing 2022 unveils its motto for the upcoming Winter Games
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: PART OF BEIJING 2022 EMBLEM ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 12:29
- Keywords: Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games Winter Olympics emblem slogan
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA002EV3YRSV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Beijing 2022 unveiled its motto for the upcoming Winter Olympics "Together for a Shared Future" at a ceremony in the city's capital museum on Friday (September 17).
After a brief ceremony, Chen Ning, Director General of Beijing 2022's Culture and Ceremonies Department, told reporters that the motto would "show how we will unite together under the Olympic banner".
This motto was chosen after an "extensive process" which included a total of 79 different motto proposals, a statement from Beijing 2022 said on Friday.
"Preparations for Beijing have been in full swing" the statement said, adding that 10 international test competitions, two domestic test events and three international training weeks will take place in the coming months ahead of the games.
Also on Friday the International Olympic Committee said Beijing 2022 will have tight COVID-19 countermeasures in place to ensure the safety of all participants.
IOC President Thomas Bach said in an open letter that next year's Winter Games would, like Tokyo 2020, require strict measures amid the ongoing pandemic.
"While the pandemic is far from over, I would like to reassure you that together with our Chinese partners and friends, we are sparing no effort to make these Olympic Winter Games safe and secure for everyone," Bach said.
When asked if international spectators would be invited to next year's games Chen Ning urged patience.
"This will be announced once our COVID-19 plan is confirmed."
The Beijing Winter Olympics will be held from Feb. 4-20.
Beijing will become the first city to host both Winter and Summer Olympics, after staging the 2008 Summer edition.
(Production: Martin Pollard)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.