- Title: Ivory Coast and Ghana presidents in Guinea to meet with sanctions-hit junta
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: GHANA PRESIDENTIAL PLANE LANDING IN CONAKRY AIRPORT GHANA PRESIDENT NANA AKUFO-ADDO DISEMBARKING AKUFO-ADDO GREETED BY DOUMBOUYA AKUFO-ADDO AND DOUMBOUYA WALKING TOWARDS THE STAGE
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 14:42
- Keywords: Africa Alassane Ouattara ECOWAS Ghana Guinea Ivory Coast Mamady Doumbouya Nana Afuko-Addo West Africa
- Location: CONAKRY, GUINEA
- City: CONAKRY, GUINEA
- Country: Guinea
- Topics: Africa,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA003EV3ZD53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A delegation of West African leaders arrived in Guinea on Friday (September 17), a day after the regional bloc imposed sanctions on the country's new military leaders for ousting President Alpha Conde in a Sept. 6 coup.
Ivory Coast's President Alassane Ouattara and Ghana's President Nana Akufo-Addo were met on a plane-side red carpet by coup leader Mamady Doumbouya, a special forces commander and former French Legionnaire who was accompanied by a large contingent of troops.
The 15-member Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) demanded a swift return to constitutional rule after the special forces unit seized control of Guinea's presidential palace, detained Conde, and declared itself in charge.
The bloc agreed at a summit in Ghana on Thursday (September 16) to freeze the financial assets of the junta members and their relatives, bar them from travelling, and demanded Conde's release. The junta has not responded to the sanctions.
It was ECOWAS' toughest response yet to the military takeover in Guinea, which follows coups in Mali and Chad earlier this year that have raised fears of a democratic backslide in a region that was starting to shed its "coup-belt" reputation.
The visit comes as the coup leaders wrap up a week of consultations with public figures and business leaders to map out a framework for a transitional government.
(Production: Souleymane Camara, Christophe Van Der Perre, Paul Warren, Hedy Beloucif)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None