- Title: No more jams and muffins: Marks & Spencer to close 11 stores in France
- Date: 17th September 2021
- Summary: SHELVES WITH DRY FOOD PRODUCTS ENGLISH CHEESES DISPLAYED INSIDE FRIDGE ORZO AND TOMATO SALAD PACKS ON FRIDGE SHELF PRODUCTS INCLUDING CHICKEN MASALA INSIDE FRIDGE PASTRY SECTION MUFFINS ON PARTIALLY EMPTY SHELF
- Embargoed: 1st October 2021 13:39
- Keywords: Brexit M&S Food Marks & Spencer closure food supplies stores
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Commodities Markets,Europe,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA002EV3YNUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British retailer Marks & Spencer said it would close all 11 French franchise food stores it runs with its partner SFH because trade rules in place since Britain left the European Union had hammered product availability.
M&S said on Thursday (September 16) that its remaining nine French franchise stores, run with Lagardere Travel Retail, will continue to trade and the pair were working on a sustainable future business model.
Customers who frequented the M&S Food stores in central Paris said they will miss some of the products, that gave them a "taste of England," as office manager Christine Poulain told Reuters.
"I'm a bit sad, because I really like their products - the jams, the muffins, everything," said Christine, a retired flight attendant.
Chairman Archie Norman has complained for months that M&S was struggling to get goods into Ireland and France since Britain left the EU single market at the beginning of the year, due to the huge amount of extra paperwork.
"M&S has a long history of serving customers in France and this is not a decision we or our partner SFH have taken lightly," Paul Friston, M&S' international director, said.
"As things stand today, the supply chain complexities in place following the UK's exit from the European Union, now make it near impossible for us to serve fresh and chilled products to customers to the high standards they expect, resulting in an ongoing impact to the performance of our business," he added.
The 11 stores that will close by the end of this year are located predominantly across the high streets of Paris, while the nine run by Lagardere are located in travel hubs such as airports, railway and metro stations.
A spokesperson for Prime Minister Boris Johnson defended the Brexit process.
The government had also provided significant funding, advice and support throughout the Brexit period so companies could prepare and understand the changes, they added.
Last month, M&S upgraded its profit outlook after a jump in demand for food in its home market and a surge in online clothes sales indicated that its latest turnaround plan was starting to deliver.
M&S shares were down 2% at 1237 GMT, paring their 2021 gains to 33.6%.
(Production: Michaela Cabrera, Antony Paone)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.