- Title: Angry words at London filling station as fuel shortages bite
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (SEPTEMBER 25, 2021) (REUTERS) LINE OF APPROXIMATELY 60 CARS WAITING AT PETROL STATION ON THE KINGS ROAD, LONDON
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 09:14
- Keywords: Truckers angry motorists filling station fuel shortage
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: UK
- Topics: European Union,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCWLDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The upmarket London neighbourhood of Chelsea echoed to the sound of heated arguments shortly before midnight on Saturday (September 25) as scores of anxious drivers jostled for position at a filling station that had been resupplied less than an hour earlier.
A line of approximately 60 vehicles crowded the entrance of the Esso garage, which had been out of fuel all day, as word spread that it was one of the few in the western part of the city that had received fuel.
Drivers argued with each other, trading accusations that they were queue jumping in a tense atmosphere - bathed in the flashing blue light of a police vehicle.
Ministers have blamed panic buying of fuel for the shortage in some stations. But driver Liam Byrne said Britain's departure from the European Union, was at the heart of the shortage of lorry drivers which is one of the causes of the shortage.
(Production: Yann Tessier)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.