- Title: Gaza to begin rebuilding homes destroyed in May conflict
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: GAZA CITY, GAZA (SEPTEMBER 26, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRACTORS AT WORK SIGN OF CONSTRUCTION COMPANY TRUCK DRIVING CONSTRUCTION WORKERS TRACTOR DRIVING GAZA'S DEPUTY HOUSING MINISTER, NAJI SARHAN, SITTING IN OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA'S DEPUTY HOUSING MINISTER, NAJI SARHAN, SAYING: "We started reconstruction process with the $500 million fund from Qatar, first phase is about $50 million and that will be for reconstructing 1000 residential units and 800 units which were partially damaged." SARHAN LISTENING VARIOUS OF PARITALLY DAMAGED BUILDING BEING RECONTRUCTED GAZA RESIDENT, MOHAMMED ABU DRAZ, LOOKING AT BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA RESIDENT, MOHAMMED ABU DRAZ, 49, SAYING: "The construction process will take long, it is all about the political situation. If it is calm in Gaza all the steps will be accomplished." DAMAGED BUILDING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GAZA RESIDENT, FIDAA ABED-ELAL, SAYING: "There is a delay in the reconstruction process and there is no real reconstruction process in general and there is no date set by sponsors about when to start." RECONSTRUCTION SIGN ON BUILDING BUILDING UNDER RECONSTRUCTION SAND ON GAZA STREET PEOPLE FILMING TRUCK DRIVER TALKING TRUCK DRIVING
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 15:45
- Keywords: Gaza Israel Palestinians reconstruction war
- Location: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- City: GAZA CITY, GAZA
- Country: Palestinian Occupied Territory
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Middle East
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCWFUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The reconstruction of homes in Gaza that were destroyed or damaged in the May conflict between Israel and Hamas will begin in the first week of October using aid from Qatar, a senior Palestinian housing official said on Sunday (September 26).
Gaza's Hamas-run government says Israeli air strikes destroyed about 2,200 homes in the enclave during the 11-day conflict and damaged 37,000 others. Some homes in Israel were damaged by rockets launched by Islamist organisation Hamas and other Gaza militant groups.
About 1,800 destroyed or damaged homes will be rebuilt in the first phase of work, according to Naji Sarhan, Gaza's deputy minister for housing and public works.
He said that Israel had lifted some restrictions on steel and cement entering the territory in recent days. Last week, Egypt began repairing Gaza's main coastal road, part of a broader plan to revamp Gaza infrastructure.
Palestinian officials say 250 people, including 66 children, were killed by Israeli air strikes on Gaza. Israeli officials says 13 people, including two children, were killed in Israel by militant rockets.
Following a May 21 ceasefire, mediated by Egypt, access to reconstruction funds and materials has been a key Hamas demand. Israel limits construction materials entering the territory, saying Hamas uses them to build weapons to wage attacks.
But following an agreement with the United Nations and Qatar, Israel allowed about $20 million in aid from the Gulf state to enter Gaza this month. That disbursement will be followed by $50 million of Qatari funds earmarked for rebuilding homes, Sarhan said.
Gaza officials estimate it will take $479 million to rebuild homes and infrastructure damaged in the May fighting. Qatar and Egypt have each pledged $500 million for Gaza reconstruction.
(Production: Arafat Barbakh, Fadi Shana, Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Rinat Harash)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None