- Title: Drone video shows London fuel queues as some suppliers introduce rationing
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (SEPTEMBER 26, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS DRONE SHOTS OF LINES OF CARS AT BP FUEL STATION IN TWICKENHAM, WEST LONDON (MUTE) BP SIGN VARIOUS OF PUMPS WITH NOTICE STATING A Â£30 ($40) LIMIT CARS AT PUMPS WOMAN FILLING UP WITH FUEL NOZZLE IN TANK EMPTY FUEL STATION IN PUTNEY, A WEST LONDON NEIGHBOURHOOD PUMPS TAPED UP EMPTY FORECOURT VEHICLES IN FUEL STATION IN CHELSEA, CENTRAL LONDON MAN FILLING BIKE ALTERCATION BETWEEN PEOPLE WAITING FOR PETROL (SOUNDBITE) (German) DRIVER, HEINZ SCHILLING, SAYING: "Here in England, the situation is very bad. No petrol stations are open. And we've got to wait for the government to do something." SCHILLING WAITING IN CAR (SOUNDBITE) (English) DRIVER, HEINZ SCHILLING, SAYING: "I'm not that worried. Because obviously it will be resolved sooner or later. It has to be resolved. It can't go on like that." FUEL STATION SIGN (SOUNDBITE) (French) UNIDENTIFIED DRIVER, SAYING: "If you want to be a real politician, politics is about being able to anticipate things. They should have foreseen that when they went out (of EU) when they did Brexit and everything, they should have known there would have been a problem. Like with the drivers. There's a problem with the drivers." ALTERCATION BETWEEN TWO DRIVERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED DRIVER, SAYING: "I've been here nearly an hour waiting for my turn to fill up the car. Yesterday I was queuing. I was about to arrive to fill up the car then the petrol is finished. Today I still have a quarter of the tank. Hopefully, maybe another half an hour to get there. It's really frustrating. I am a driver and without petrol of course you cannot move." LINE OF VEHICLES (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNIDENTIFIED DRIVER, SAYING: JOURNALIST ASKING: "So to you, is this a Brexit problem or is itâ€¦?" DRIVER: "No. It's a result of Brexit. To be honest, it's probably what the people in the north voted for. All those people that voted for Brexit in the north where they were complaining that foreign people were coming and taking their jobs. And they were undercutting- The reason they couldn't go to work because they couldn't earn enough money to keep their family, whereas a foreign worker could come and take their space." LINE OF VEHICLES VARIOUS OF PETROL STATION IN CHELSEA THAT IS SHUT BECAUSE OF NO FUEL SIGN READING (English): "FULE (sic. Fuel) RUN OUT"
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 15:38
- Keywords: Brexit Britain London drone video fuel rationing petrol lines
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: European Union,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCWM6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Some petrol stations in London introduced fuel rationing on Sunday (September 26) to prevent a growing fuel shortage that ministers blame on COVID-19 and their critics on Brexit.
One fuel station in Twickenham, on the western fringes of London, imposed a maximum fuel spend of Â£30 ($41) on the dozens of drivers waiting to tank up.
Many fuel stations in the capital remained shuttered because of a shortfall in fuel supplies caused by a lack of lorry drivers.
People at one fuel station in the fashionable neighbourhood of Chelsea said they were waiting for more than an hour to fill up, with 50 or more vehicles in line.
The British government has announced a range of measures including special visas for foreign drivers to help resolve the pressures on the supply chain, which have impacted food distribution as well as fuel.
(Production: Yann Tessier)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None