- Title: Bikers enjoy weekend rides on Cairo highway
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: CAIRO, EGYPT (SEPTEMBER 24, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE RIDING BICYCLES ON SECTION OF HIGHWAY RESERVED FOR BIKERS EVERY WEEKEND BICYCLE / BOY ON BICYCLE BIKERS STARTING RACE VARIOUS OF BIKERS ON HIGHWAY BICYCLE / BIKER RIDING VARIOUS OF BIKERS ON HIGHWAY (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) BIKER, AMIRA MOUSTAFA, SAYING: "There was a major problem for me to ride my bicycle in the street, because roads are very narrow and there is no lane designated (for bikes). People are not familiar with the idea of biking, whether for boys or girls. The government has now enabled girls to ride bicycles. Now, I leave home with my bicycle and I feel safe. I wish this initiative is pushed even further, that it continues, gets support and becomes well-know." CAIRO, EGYPT (SEPTEMBER 17, 2021) (REUTERS) EGYPT'S YOUTH AND SPORTS MINISTER, ASHRAF SOBHY, STANDING NEXT TO BICYCLE DURING INAUGURATION OF NEW LANE FOR BIKERS BIKERS ON NEW LANE DESIGNATED FOR BIKERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) EGYPT'S YOUTH AND SPORTS MINISTER, ASHRAF SOBHY, SAYING: "This location was designated (for biking) and we inaugurated it. As a start, it stretches over eight kilometers in eastern Cairo, according to the directions of the president (Abdel Fattah al-Sisi). This road will be reserved for bicycles every Friday from six a.m. to 11 a.m." CAIRO, EGYPT (SEPTEMBER 24, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BIKERS ON HIGHWAY CAIRO, EGYPT (SEPTEMBER 23, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BIKER, AHMED MOHAMMED, BIKING ON BRIDGE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) BIKER, AHMED MOHAMMED, SAYING: "I see that the government started to encourage riding bicycles, and it is good that the Ministry of Youth and Sports launched the 'Your Bicycle, Your Health' initiative to encourage people to start riding bicycles. The only challenge that makes people afraid to ride (bicycles) in the streets is the heavy traffic and cars, as we can see. I hope the government will make the initiative grow and implement it. It is a nice effort and I hope to see it applied in the rest of Cairo's streets." VARIOUS OF MOHAMMED BIKING AMID TRAFFIC
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 15:09
- Keywords: Bicycles Biking Cairo Highway
- Location: CAIRO, EGYPT
- City: CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Topics: Middle East,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCWHG5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Bicycle lovers in Egypt's congested capital since last week have the opportunity to enjoy some car-free riding on an eight kilometer-long portion of the highway set aside for bicycles every Friday morning.
Amira Moustafa, a biker who took to the new lane on Friday (September 24), said she can now bike undisturbed by vehicles and traffic.
"Now, I leave home with my bicycle and I feel safe", she said.
Minister of Youth and Sports, Ashraf Sobhy, said on September 17 that the new lane will be reserved for bicycles from six a.m. to 11 a.m. every Friday.
Cyclists are rarely seen in the capital where heavy traffic regularly clogs up large parts of the sprawling greater Cairo, home to nearly 20 million people.
Ahmed Mohammed, a bicycle rider experiencing the congested streets of downtown Cairo, wishes to see similar initiatives spread throughout the city.
He said that heavy traffic and the absence of bicycle lanes in Cairo are preventing people from using cycling as a more sustainable mode of transportation.
President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has in recent years often been seen biking on early Friday mornings, wearing sports clothing including cycling gloves.
(Production: Ahmed Fahmy, Sayed Sheasha, Mai Shams El-Din)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None