- Title: Anti-AfD protesters chant outside far-right party's election venue
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 26, 2021) (REUTERS) ANTI-AFD PROTESTERS CHANTING IN GERMAN: GET NATIONALISM OUT OF PEOPLE'S HEADS POLICE VANS IN FRONT OF PROTEST POLICE STANDING POLICE, PROTESTERS SHOUTING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CLAPPING, CHANTING "ANTI-FASCHISTA" PROTESTERS HOLDING UP BANNER READING: NO PARTY FOR THE FASCISTS PROTESTER IN GAS MASK PROTESTERS WITH BANNER BANNER IN GERMAN READING: NO PARTY FOR THE FASCISTS, BURN THE AFD POLICE SIGNS READING: NO AFD VARIOUS OF BANNER AND SIGNS AND PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS CHANTING "ANTI-FASCHISTA!" BANNER READING: FIGHT FOR FEMINISM PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF POLICE ON ROOF POLICE
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 16:20
- Keywords: AfD Alternative for Deutschland Germany Germany election protests right-wing supporters
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCUJ47
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Anti-AfD protesters held up banners and chanted anti-right wing slogans on Sunday (September 26) shortly before first exit polls were due to be announced at 6 p.m. (1400 GMT).
Set up in 2013 as an anti-euro party during the euro zone debt crisis, the AfD has been polling nationally at around 11%, down from nearly 13% in the 2017 general election, after which it became the main opposition and third-largest party.
In an election that played out as Germany started to reopen after months of coronavirus lockdowns, the pollster Infratest/Dimap found that the AfD's focus on stricter immigration rules had not been among the priorities of voters, who were more interested in the economy and job security.
Latest Forsa polls on Friday (September 24) put the AfD at 10 %.
(Production: Tilman Blasshofer, Fanny Brodersen, Fedja Grulovic, Petra Wischgoll, Tanya Wood)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None