- Title: Drone footage shows La Palma volcano's scale of devastation
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 25, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF DRONE SHOTS OF CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO IN LA PALMA SPEWING LAVA AND LAVA STREAM FLOWING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN DRONE SHOT SOLIDIFIED LAVA ENGULFING HOUSES DRONE SHOT OF CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO IN LA PALMA SPEWING LAVA DRONE SHOT SOLIDIFIED LAVA ENGULFING HOUSES DRONE SHOT OF CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO IN LA PALMA SPEWING LAVA LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 25, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOT) RED HOT LAVA STREAM FLOWING DOWN THE VOLCANO
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 10:20
- Keywords: Cumbre Vieja La Palma volcano drone flying over volcano eruption lava stream satellite view of the volcano view from space
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCX4CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Drone footage showed on Saturday (September 25) the scale of devastation caused by the eruption of the Cumbre Vieja volcano in La Palma, as lava streams engulfed the surrounding towns and fields.
The volcano, which began erupting last Sunday (September 19), was entering a new explosive phase after a new emission vent opened. The Canary Islands Volcanology Institute, Involcan, said the new emission vent that had opened was to the west of the principal vent.
The volcano has spewed out thousands of tons of lava, destroyed hundreds of houses, and forced the evacuation of nearly 6,000 people. La Palma, with a population of over 83,000, is one of an archipelago making up the Canary Islands in the Atlantic.
No fatalities or serious injuries have been reported in the volcano's eruption, but about 15% of the island's economically crucial banana could be at risk, jeopardizing thousands of jobs.
(Production: Jon Nazca, Silvio Castellanos, Nur-Azna Sanusi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None