- Title: Swiss look set to accept same-sex marriage in referendum
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (RECENT - SEPTEMBER 11, 2021) (REUTERS) SIGN READING (French): "MARRIAGE WILL CHANGE OUR LIFE, NOT YOURS" GAY PRIDE MARCH PASSING IN FRONT OF ICONIC GENEVA JET D'EAU WOMAN WEARING SIGN READING (English) "DIVORCE FOR ALL" ON FRONT AND "THE WALKING TINDER" ON HER BACK WOMEN IN A CONVERTIBLE CAR, WEARING WEDDING DRESSES, DRIVING OVER MONT BLANC BRIDGE CAROUGE, SWITZERLAND (SEPTEMBER 26, 2021) (REUTERS) SIGN READING (French) "VOTING ENTRANCE" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING (SOUNDBITE) (French) CAROUGE RESIDENT, MAXYME MONBARON, SAYING: "There is a huge split, even inside a small country like Switzerland, there is a difference between cities and countryside, even between the French-side and the German-side, but I think the cleavage is bigger between cities and countryside. It's true that if you live in Geneva, Zurich or Lausanne, I think those cities are ahead, at least this is what I think, but for sure if you go to Schwytz or Uri or Vaud canton, I think mentalities are really behind and maybe also on a legal level too." VARIOUS OF ELECTORAL POSTERS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING (SOUNDBITE) (French) CAROUGE RESIDENT, ANA LEIMGRUBERS, SAYING: "To my knowledge, it is not as easy for (straight) couples who have difficulties to have children compared to what is planned for non-straight couples. So, this is the main reason and on the other hand, I think children need a dad and a mom." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING (SOUNDBITE) (French) CAROUGE RESIDENT, AURELIEN TRAUB, SAYING: "This doesn't bother me. For me, the concept of family is not necessarily linked to biological reproduction, so if people adopt or do not bear the child, it doesn't count for me. There are broken families with biological parents and united families with adopted children, so for me, it's not a vector of unity." VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING (SOUNDBITE) (French) CAROUGE RESIDENT, NICOLAS DZIENLATKA, SAYING: "It's true that it (the law) goes outside traditional schemes, but I think what is important for a child is to be loved and respected and I think some children are neither loved or respected by, so-called, heterosexual couples, so I don't have any issue or reluctance with this." ELECTORAL POSTERS / POLLING STATION ENTRANCE SIGN READING (French) "POLLING STATION" GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (RECENT - SEPTEMBER 11, 2021) (REUTERS) MONT-BLANC BRIDGE WITH SWISS AND RAINBOW FLAGS MAN WEARING SWISS SHIRT WALKING WITH RAINBOW FLAG GENEVA JET D'EAU WITH RAINBOW FLAG
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 13:19
- Keywords: Geneva LGBTQ+ Marriage Pride Switzerland adoption referendum same sex couple vote
- Location: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND / CAROUGE, SWITZERLAND
- City: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND / CAROUGE, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCXK5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Swiss voters on Sunday (September 26) looked set to back a proposal to open civil marriage and the right to adopt children to same-sex couples, according to early indications published by Swiss broadcaster SRG.
Projections showed 64% of voters had voted in favour of same-sex marriage in a nationwide referendum conducted under Switzerland's system of direct democracy. A final result is expected later in the day.
The federal government and parliament approved opening civil marriage to same-sex couples, but opponents forced a referendum on the issue.
"There is a huge split, even inside a small country like Switzerland, there is a difference between cities and countryside, even between the French-part and the German-part, but I think the cleavage is bigger between cities and countryside", said Maxyme Monbaron, 24, who lives in Carouge, a few minutes from Geneva city, after voting 'yes'.
The amended law will make it possible for same-sex couples to get married, and to adopt children unrelated to them. Married lesbian couples would also be allowed to have children through sperm donation, currently legal only for married heterosexual couples.
"I think children need a dad and a mom", said Ana Leimgrubers who voted against the law.
It will also make it easier for foreign spouses of a Swiss individual to get citizenship.
(Production: Cecile Mantovani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None