- Title: Navalny and Afghan women's rights activists nominated for EU's Sakharov prize
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: OMSK, RUSSIA (FILE - AUGUST 22, 2020) (REUTERS) PLANE CARRYING NAVALNY TO GERMANY TAKING OFF
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 16:01
- Keywords: Afghan Women Afghanistan EU European Parliament European Union Jeanine Anez Navalny Nominee Opposition Russia Sakharov Prize
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: European Union,Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA007EWHWLZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Jailed Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny was nominated on Monday (September 27) for the European Parliament's annual human rights prize as European Union lawmakers sought to keep the public spotlight on his pro-democracy network, which has been banned in Russia.
Navalny, 45, who was poisoned in August 2020 by what Western nations said was a nerve agent, is serving a 2-1/2-year sentence for parole violations he calls trumped up.
The EU has imposed sanctions on Russian officials over Navalny's poisoning and imprisonment.
Moscow denies any wrongdoing and accuses the EU of interfering in its domestic affairs.
"It is vital that we in the European Parliament confirm our relentless support for Navalny and stress that his wellbeing is the responsibility of (Russian President Vladimir) Putin," Peter van Dalen, a Dutch center-right EU lawmaker, told an assembly meeting.
The 50,000 euro ($59,000) Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought, named after Soviet dissident Andrei Sakharov, is awarded every year.
The winner will be announced on Oct. 21, with a prize-giving in December.
Past laureates include South African president Nelson Mandela, Venezuela's democratic opposition and Pakistani education activist Malala Yousafzai.
Other 2021 nominees include a group of prominent Afghan women, Bolivian politician Jeanine Anez and British-based human rights non-governmental organization Global Witness.
(Production: Clement Rossignol)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None