- Title: SPD supporters celebrate as exit polls show tie with Merkel's conservative bloc
- Date: 26th September 2021
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 26, 2021) (REUTERS) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF GERMANY'S SOCIAL DEMOCRAT (SPD) SUPPORTERS FOLLOWING ELECTION COVERAGE ON TELEVISION AT PARTY HEADQUARTERS SUPPORTERS CELEBRATING (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPD SUPPORTER, MARVIN KLIEM, SAYING: "I am having a blast. To have such an amazing result in three regional elections ... I have no words. This is amazing. (SPD candidate) Olaf Scholz, (SPD Mecklenburg-Vorpommen candidate) Manuela Schwesig and (SPD Berlin candidate) Franziska Giffey are three wonderful candidates who really rock." (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPD SUPPORTER, CAROLINE MOHR, SAYING: "We are social democrats and therefore the best option for this country. And so is Olaf Scholz as chancellor candidate." (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPD SUPPORTER, CAROLA EBHARDT, SAYING: "I think it is amazing. It was worth all the work and we were counting on this result." SPD SUPPORTERS CELEBRATING (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPD SUPPORTER, CAROLA EBHARDT, SAYING: "Olaf Scholz is an amazing candidate. He was really convincing everywhere." VARIOUS OF SPD PARTY MEMBER AT THE INTERVIEW VARIOUS OF PEOPLE GATHERED AT SPD HEADQUARTERS
- Embargoed: 10th October 2021 17:57
- Keywords: Angela Merkel CDU/CSU Olaf Scholz SPD federal elections social democrats
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWCUC07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: German social democrats were ecstatic on Sunday (September 26) as exit polls showed a virtual tie between their party and outgoing chancellor Angela Merkel's CDU/CSU conservatives.
"I am having a blast... I have no words. This is amazing," said Marvin Kliem with a big smile on his face.
The CDU/CSU bloc won 25% of the vote, their weakest result in a post-war federal election and on a par with the centre-left Social Democrat (SPD), the infratest poll for broadcaster ARD showed.
A Forschungsgruppe Wahlen poll for broadcaster ZDF put the SPD and its chancellor candidate Olaf Scholz on 26% and the CDU/CSU on 24%.
"Olaf Scholz is an amazing candidate. He was really convincing everywhere," said Carola Ebhardt.
Attention will now shift to informal discussions - likely with the Greens, on 15%, and liberal Free Democrats (FDP), on 11% - followed by more formal coalition negotiations, which could take months, leaving Merkel in charge in a caretaker role.
(Production: Claudia Doerries and Elena Gyldenkerne)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None