- Title: Macron, Tedros inaugurate WHO academy in Lyon
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: LYON, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 27, 2021) (REUTERS) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, AND WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO) DIRECTOR-GENERAL, TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS, ARRIVING AT INAUGURATION CEREMONY OF WHO ACADEMY MACRON AND TEDROS WALKING ON STAGE MACRON, TEDROS AND WHO ACADEMY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND FORMER FRENCH HEALTH MINISTER, AGNES BUZYN, ON STAGE BUZYN SPEAKING MACRON, TEDROS AND BUZYN ON STAGE, WHILE PARTICIPANTS ON VIDEO CONFERENCE, PROJECTED ON STAGE MACRON WALKING TOWARDS PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "This academy, as it has been said, will play an extremely important role in the strategy of the WHO. I'm not going to restate the figures, but this will also play an important role for us, meaning for the strategy that we want to carry out in terms of research, health policies and solidarity on the matter. Several have said this before me, this academy will train not only medical workers, but also a health framework, an entire ecosystem." TEDROS WALKING TOWARDS PODIUM WHO SIGN ON PROJECTOR SCREEN (SOUNDBITE) (English) WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION DIRECTOR-GENERAL, TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS, SAYING: "The COVID-19 pandemic is a powerful reminder of how critical health workers are and why they need investment, decent jobs, the most up-to-date information, competencies and tools to keep their communities healthy and safe. Global health challenges are constantly evolving, and so must the way we learn." MACRON ON STAGE (SOUNDBITE) (English) WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION DIRECTOR-GENERAL, TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS, SAYING: "We owe it to health and care workers to ensure they have the knowledge, the tools and the competencies to do their jobs to the best of their ability. After all, it is in our own interests. That's what the WHO academy is all about - it's an investment in equity, health, education and technology." TEDROS WALKING TOWARDS MACRON AFTER SPEECH / MACRON AND TEDROS SHAKING HANDS MACRON AND TEDROS ON STAGE AT END OF CEREMONY
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 16:26
- Keywords: France Lyon Macron Tedros WHO academy inauguration
- Location: LYON, FRANCE
- City: LYON, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWHUSEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron and World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus attended on Monday (September 27) the groundbreaking of the WHO academy, which will serve to train medical workers and ensure implementation of the U.N. agency's guidelines.
The academy, headquartered in Lyon, France, will offer more than 100 major learning programmes and will use modern technologies, such as virtual reality and artificial intelligence, according to a WHO news release.
Construction of the campus will start in late 2021, with an opening slated in 2024.
"This academy, as it has been said, will play an extremely important role in the strategy of the WHO," Macron said in his speech during the groundbreaking ceremony. "This academy will train not only medical workers, but also a health framework, an entire ecosystem."
The academy will be managed by former French health minister Agnes Buzyn.
France has committed 120 million euros to the establishment and infrastructure of the site, according to a WHO news release.
The institution will draw on lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic, Tedros said.
"The COVID-19 pandemic is a powerful reminder of how critical health workers are," Tedros said. "We owe it to health and care workers to ensure they have the knowledge, the tools and the competencies to do their jobs to the best of their ability."
(Production: Cecile Mantovani, Ardee Napolitano)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None