- Title: File footage of Japan's Liberal Democratic Party leadership contender Taro Kono
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: Kono met Chinese premier Li Keqiang and Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi in April 2019 to discuss views on economic ties between the two countries. BEIJING, CHINA (FILE - APRIL 15, 2019) (AGENCY POOL) ***WARNING: CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF KONO AND CHINESE PREMIER LI KEQIANG HOLDING BILATERAL TALKS
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 02:20
- Keywords: Japan Japanese vaccination programme chief LDP Liberal Democratic Party Taro Kono election leadership politics prime minister
- Location: TOKYO, YOKOSUKA, JAPAN / MANILA, PHILIPPINES / NAYPYITAW, MYANMAR / SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA / BEIJING, CHINA
- City: TOKYO, YOKOSUKA, JAPAN / MANILA, PHILIPPINES / NAYPYITAW, MYANMAR / SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA / BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA006EWHU69Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: PROFILES OF ALL FOUR CANDIDATES:
Japan's popular coronavirus vaccination minister, Taro Kono, is one of four candidates to lead the ruling party and, by extension, become the next prime minister.
Kono was the third candidate to throw his hat in the ring for the leadership of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP), which opened up after Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga said he would step down earlier in September.
Kono portrayed himself as a reformer taking on Japan's stodgy bureaucracy at his news conference to announce his candidacy for the leadership election.
The country's vaccination rollout, working from home, nuclear energy and foreign policy were among other topics he discussed.
Nearly a third of respondents in a poll by major domestic media earlier this month said the Georgetown University-educated Kono, 58, was the most suitable to succeed Suga.
(Production: Rikako Maruyama, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None