- Title: Monastery in Indian hill town educate Buddhist monks to preserve literature
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: SHIMLA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF DORJE DRAK MONASTERY SIGNBOARD READING (English): "THUBTEN DORJIDAK AEWAM CHOKGAR NYINGMAPA INST" MONK STUDENTS STUDYING IDOL OF LORD BUDDHA VARIOUS OF MONK STUDENTS READING BUDDHIST TEXTBOOKS TEACHER WRITING ON WHITE BOARD BUDDHIST SCRIPTURES STUDENTS READING BOOKS STUDENT RECITING TEXT WRITTEN ON WHITEBOARD (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) STUDENT, THUBTEN NYIGMA, SAYING: "I have come here in Himachal Pradesh and I am studying to preserve the teachings of Buddhism. I have been practising here for the last three years." VARIOUS OF STUDENTS ATTENDING ONLINE CLASS TEACHER DRAWING MURALS ON BOARD VARIOUS OF STUDENTS DRAWING MURALS ON DRAWING SHEET (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) BUDDHIST MONK TEACHER, UGYEN TENZIN, SAYING: "As you know in the 21st century, the world has changed and with the changing world, monks should also learn modern technologies, receive a modern education, learn science and English languages as these are important for the monks." VARIOUS OF STUDENTS BEING TRAINED
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 15:46
- Keywords: Himachal Pradesh India Shimla belief exiled Tibetans monks religion
- Location: SHIMLA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- City: SHIMLA, HIMACHAL PRADESH, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWMVADR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Young exiled Tibetan Buddhist monks from different countries are getting Buddhist teachings in India's northern Shimla city to carry their lineage and school forward.
To carry forward the teachings of Buddhism, young lamas are getting education to become masters in Buddhist practices after a degree course of nine years at the Dorje Drak Monastery of the Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism.
"I am studying to preserve the teachings of Buddhism. I have been practising here for the last three years," said a student Thubten Nyingma on Tuesday (September 28).
The students were seen chanting Buddhist verses and memorising scriptures. They are also learning science, Mathematics, Computer Science, and English to gain an overall knowledge of the contemporary world.
Dorje Drak Monastery is the main school of the Nyingma school of Tibetan Buddhism. The Nyingma School is one of the important sects out of the four main schools including Sakya, Kagyu, and Gelug of Tibetan Buddhism.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None