- Title: Timelapse views of La Palma volcano
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TIMELAPSE SHOTS OF THICK, DARK SMOKE AND ASH BILLOWING FROM VOLCANO
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 10:49
- Keywords: La Palma Spain eruption volcano volcano timelapse
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWMX6BR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Cumbre Vieja volcano in the island of La Palma entered an effusive phase on Tuesday (September 28) meaning there will be less explosions and the activity in the main cone will decline, the spokesperson for the Canaries Volcanology Institute said.
The volcano began ejecting lava again on Monday after a lull, while hundreds of people in coastal villages hunkered down in anticipation of lava emitted in previous days reaching the sea and releasing toxic gas.
Spurts of vivid lava emerged from the Cumbre Vieja volcano in the early evening and snaked down the dark mountainside after a period of several hours without explosions, according to Reuters witnesses.
The hiatus and new explosions came eight days after lava started pouring from the mountain range on the island, which neighbours Tenerife in the Canary Islands archipelago off North Africa.
Since Sept. 19, black lava has been slowly flowing down the volcano's western flank toward the sea, destroying more than 500 houses as well as churches and banana plantations, according to the European Union's Copernicus disaster monitoring programme.
No fatalities or serious injuries have been reported, but about 15% of the island's banana crop could be at risk, jeopardising thousands of jobs.
La Palma's population numbers over 83,000. ($1 = 0.85 euros)
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Catherine Macdonald)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None