- Title: From protests to proposals, activists face climate talks test
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: MILAN, ITALY (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) SIGN READING 'YOUTH4CLIMATE DRIVING AMBITION' OUTSIDE VENUE VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ARRIVING FOR YOUTH4CLIMATE MEETING PEOPLE WAITING INSIDE VENUE SECURITY BANNER WITH QUOTE FROM CLIMATE ACTIVIST (SOUNDBITE) (English) YOUTH4CLIMATE DELEGATE FROM FRANCE, LENA BELLY-LE GUILLOUX, SAYING: "We'll do everything we can to get the population to pressure the government into doing what they have to do, but there is much out of our hands. But yes there is tremendous potential in gathering people from NGOs all around the world and talking about climate action and design very concrete, hands on scenarios for the future." ITALIAN ECOLOGICAL TRANSITION MINISTER ROBERTO CINGOLANI ARRIVING (SOUNDBITE) (English) YOUTH4CLIMATE DELEGATE FROM UGANDA, ROSE KOBUSINGE, SAYING: "I'm really, really excited about having Greta at the event because she's an inspiration to many young people worldwide and I think she has done her part, and she is still doing her part and what I can say is that every young person, wherever they are in the world...I come from Uganda and I'm calling on all young people from Uganda and African countries...that this is all something you can do, so if Greta is doing her part in terms of the media and getting people from the global communities to speak and act and provoke them to act, we other young people can also do some other things." VARIOUS OF YOUNG DELEGATES ARRIVING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE QUEUING TO ENTER MEETING
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 11:12
- Keywords: COP26 Greta Thunberg Youth4Climate climate change environment pre-COP
- Location: MILAN, ITALY
- City: MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Climate Change,Climate Policy and Regulation,Environment,Europe,General News
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWMV39J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Young activists were descending on Milan on Tuesday (September 28) as a week of climate talks kicked off with the Youth4Climate conference, where some 400 activists from more than 190 countries will converge.
Milan is hosting the Youth4Climate event and a subsequent pre-COP26 meeting, at which climate and energy ministers will decide proposals to send for consideration at the November summit in Glasgow, Scotland.
"There is tremendous potential in gathering people from NGOs all around the world and talking about climate action and design very concrete, hands on scenarios for the future," said French delegate Lena Belly-Le Guilloux.
Swedish activist Greta Thunberg is also attending the talks and gave a speech to mark the opening of the conference.
Other young activists were taking inspiration from Thunberg's global impact and hoped it would encourage even more young people to act.
"If Greta is doing her part in terms of the media and getting people from the global communities to speak and act and provoke them to act, we other young people can also do some other things," said Ugandan delegate Rose Kobusinge.
(Production: Gabriele Pileri, Cristiano Corvino, Emily Roe)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None