- Title: French Greens pick Jadot to run for president in fragmented left
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: PANTIN, FRANCE (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (AGENCY POOL) (SOUNDBITE)(French) GREENS PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, YANNICK JADOT, SAYING: "With you, and thanks to you, I will be the president of the climate." / CROWD CHEERING JADOT CONTINUING: "Our presidency will be a presidency that acts immediately. As soon as we come to power, we will determine each public policy, each euro of public money, for climate, social justice, gender equality, end the public policies that subsidise fossil energies rather than renewable energies and insulation of our homes."
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 18:00
- Keywords: France Greens Yannick Jadot presidential election primary
- Location: PANTIN & PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PANTIN & PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003EWMTRUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Former Greenpeace executive Yannick Jadot beat a more radical opponent on Tuesday (September 28) to become the French Greens' candidate for president next year, potentially boosting their chances of reaching out beyond their traditional base.
The 54-year-old EU lawmaker worked for non-governmental organisations in Burkina Faso and Bangladesh before leading environment-focused NGOs including the French branch of Greenpeace, and becoming increasingly involved in politics.
He wants France to devote 20 billion euros ($23 billion) a year to a shift to a more environment-friendly economy, and also to phase out intensive animal farming and introduce a wealth tax.
The French Greens lack the firepower of their German counterparts and no opinion poll sees Jadot, who currently polls around 6%, as a serious challenger to President Emmanuel Macron.
But the question is whether the self-styled consensus builder could emerge as a leader of France's fragmented left.
(Production: Yiming Woo)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None