- Title: Residents watch as rivers of lava flow down La Palma volcano
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 27, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WATCHING LAVA FLOWING DOWN CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO AS IT ERUPTS LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 27, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF TIMELAPSES OF LAVA FLOWING DOWN VOLCANO VARIOUS OF LAVA FLOWING DOWN VOLCANO
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 21:25
- Keywords: Cumbre Vieja La Palma La Palma volcano Spain lava lava stream volcano gas volcano stream
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWHXPHJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents watched from a distance as rivers of lava flowed from a volcano on the Spanish island of La Palma on Monday (September 27).
The volcano began ejecting lava again earlier on Monday after a lull, while hundreds of people in coastal villages hunkered down in anticipation of lava emitted in previous days reaching the sea and releasing toxic gas.
Spurts of vivid lava emerged from the Cumbre Vieja volcano in the early evening and snaked down the dark mountainside after a period of several hours without explosions, according to Reuters witnesses.
The hiatus and new explosions came eight days after lava started pouring from the mountain range on the island, which neighbours Tenerife in the Canary Islands archipelago off North Africa.
Since September 19, lava has been slowly flowing down the volcano's western flank toward the sea, destroying more than 500 houses as well as churches and banana plantations, according to the European Union's Copernicus disaster monitoring programme.
No fatalities or serious injuries have been reported, but about 15% of the island's banana crop could be at risk, jeopardising thousands of jobs. La Palma's population numbers over 83,000.
(Production: Guillermo Martinez, Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None